23 |

Everyone went their separate ways.

In Ashton's enormous home, there were enough bedrooms to house a small village it seemed like. Each of us, and our mates, went into bedrooms that lined the burgundy walls of my brothers mansion.

Fortunately for my sister Destiny's sake, Paxton and I's room had been conjoined with Adira and Klayton's. There was only a foot separating us from them.

I tried not to listen, once I heard the soft whispers between the two lovers. The walls felt so thin between us. However, it truly spiked my interest to see what would happen between Klayton and Adira. How she was handling being brought back to life —how he was handling it.

I'm sure he never thought this day would come.

I sit on a small loveseat in the middle of my designated room, sighing as I slouch into the soft contours and comforts of the seat. Paxton came over, joining me as he sighs heavily as well. They day truly took it all out of us; and now we had other matters to worry about...

Klayton still wanted Destiny dead. However, my sister managed to avoid death once again. I roll my eyes to myself, thinking about the ridiculous deal I'm sure she had to make with the God of Death. Man, he was a tool.

Paxton sat onto the loveseat with me, instead pulling me into his lap so that my legs were draped across him and my head could rest onto his chest. He wrapped his big arms around me; securely, pulling me in tightly to him. It felt so warm —it felt like home.

My eyes start to drop, feeling heavy as I find a serenity in my mates embrace. I could also hear his breathing slightly become more heavy, signaling he had fallen asleep. As I sat there, I tried not to listen to Adira and Klayton on the other side of the wall.

I really tried.

However, my ears betrayed me and I found myself lulling to sleep with their soft whispers and voices in the other room. My eyes were closed, my head resting on Paxton's chest, as I heard the two mates.

~

"Adira..." Klayton starts, and I can hear shuffling on the floor. Like he was walking towards her swiftly. "Talk to me." His voice sounded so earnest; sincere. I could hear the pain and heartache.

"I feel numb," is all Adira said. I could envision her now —sitting by the window in their room, looking outside and dreaming of another place.

Because it's what I did.

"I can't imagine what you've been through baby," he pleads. "But I need you to talk to me. Open up to me. I'm going crazy here... You're so close but you've never been so far."

His voice is a whisper at the end and I hear Adira sigh heavily.

"I missed you as well," she says. I once again can hear the two mates become closer, and I assume Adira has joined Klayton on the bed. I wonder if her head was resting on her mate's heart, as mine was. I wanted them to have that; this.

Klayton gulps so deeply I could hear it through the wall.

"What was it like? Being dead?" His voice is low —hoarse. Broken. It was the question.

The question I've yet to answer, myself. However, I've been asked by my sister many times. I'm not sure if Destiny's truly wants to know — an immortal facing death is something that brings nightmares. I crane my head slightly; interest peaked at Adira's answer. I could feel my heartbeat speed up along my anxiety in this moment. Did Adira and I go through the same thing? We must have.

I could almost hear her eyes slicing into his, like ice. "I fucking dread the day you find out, Klay."

"Please," he begs. We both had the answer, but just wouldn't say it out loud. Couldn't, I think bitterly.