chapter one

You just didn't expect everything to come crashing down around you. Things weren't supposed to end like this. You can't breathe. With every inhale, it feels as if your lungs are screaming for more oxygen. Your skin is on fire. This isn't the ending you deserve. This isn't how the story ends for you, it can't be.

——

Fucking asshole. That's all you can think of as you storm through the dark, nighttime streets of Georgetown. You and the team had just gotten back from a hard case in California. Any case involving children was usually immensely emotionally draining. You wanted nothing more than to curl up on the couch next to your boyfriend with a large glass of wine and a movie.

Unfortunately, you didn't even get a chance to pop the cork of a bottle. Within seconds of settling in, your boyfriend started up the classic 'your job is too dangerous, too time-consuming, too much traveling.' However, he managed to take the argument a step further when he angrily started throwing your belongings into a bag. With the duffel bag thrown over your shoulder, you stormed off into the night.

You aren't even quite sure where you're going or how you're going to get home. Your apartment is across the city. It would probably take you over an hour to walk home and your boyfriend didn't even bother to try and arrange a ride for you. That's when you realize there is someone in the city you can walk to.

You wrap your jacket tighter around your body and pick up the pace. As you reach Q Street, you feel the light drizzle of rain on your skin. You mutter out a few lines of expletives before haphazardly holding the duffel bag above your head to shield against the rain.

The rain is slowly picking up and you continue to speed walk down the uneven brick sidewalks, finally reaching the unfamiliar large white townhome. You rush up the steps to the door. You had never been inside his house before, just had heard the address in passing.

You raise your hand to the door before pausing. Is this inappropriate? You have no other options. You'll just simply ask him for a ride home. You'll explain you got stranded and needed to get home. He'll understand. You knock a few times on the dark wood door.

He's always telling you he's there for you. You can tell he cares about you and everyone else on the team. The care for you, however, has always felt a little different. It's evident in everything he does for you.

It's evident in the way he always remembers how you take your coffee. Black, two sugars. The way he knocks on your hotel door in the morning, waiting to walk down to the lobby and drive to the station with you on a case. The way he always offers to drive you home after late nights in the office. He always says it's way too 'unsafe' for you to ride the metro late at night. You can't help but let out a soft laugh when he says that. He says it as if he hasn't seen you take down unsubs twice your size. He says it as if you don't keep your gun strapped to your hip the whole train ride home.

"Y/n?" Hotch's voice interrupts your thoughts, "What are you doing here? Are you okay?" His eyes quickly scan your body, searching for any evidence of injury.

"Yeah, yeah," You shake your head. You shiver, wrapping your sweater around you tighter. The rain is coming down strong now, but you're safe under the cover of Hotch's front step. You didn't even get a chance to take your jacket when you left.

You can't seem to bring yourself to speak for a second. You get caught up taking in the sight before you. Aaron Hotchner is wearing a pair of dark jeans and a casual t-shirt. His hair is slightly damp, evidence of a shower and it's tousled around messily. You've never seen him so casual, so... undone.

"Is there something wrong?" He asks you again. You pull your focus away from his appearance to look up into his eyes.

"Guys my age suck, you know that?" You sigh out frustratedly. What the fuck are you saying?