Chapter 47

-------------------> MOLLY PREWETT'S WINTER WEDDING WAS BEAUTIFUL and as dictated by tradition, was held outside the groom's house

-------------------> MOLLY PREWETT'S WINTER WEDDING WAS BEAUTIFUL and as dictated by tradition, was held outside the groom's house. Bells were hung everywhere, as the old-age belief of them being used to disperse evil and a single horseshoe was hung above the altar, symbolising fertility and good luck.

It took place four days before New Year's Day and was picture perfect.

Molly had been a vision descended straight from heaven in her leaf-green wedding dress -thus, standing out in the Snow White background- and wearing a crown of pretty, multicoloured flowers; while Arthur, who had a crown made of ivy on his head, had been smiling so widely upon seeing her, it was adorable.

The bride carried a bouquet of herbs to ward off evil spirits together with red roses which were a symbol of love.

Family, friends and guests stood in a circle around the bride and groom who knelt before an altar upon which the four elements are placed.

First, the wedding celebrant blessed the circle and invoked the Spirits and the Goddesses and then, the priest invited the four elements, the spirits and the gods to bless their union. Lord Prewett lit a candle for fire and placed it to the North of the altar, Lady Prewett placed a bowl of water in the East, Mr Weasley stuck an incense stick to the ground towards the South to represent air and Mrs Weasley placed her favourite piece of crystal to the West to represent the earth.

The ritual of 'Hand Fasting' was performed next, whereby the Bride and Groom's hands were bound by a naturally woven fibre, and just before the 'Giving of Rings' the binding was slipped off with the knot still intact, signifying the fact they would always be 'bound together in marriage'.

The priest, smiling at the young couple, sung verses for the handfasting ceremony as Lady Prewett and Mrs Weasley helped tie the fibre around their hands.

"Now you are bound one to the other

With a tie not easy to break.

Take the time of binding

Before the final vows are made

To learn what you need to know -

To grow in wisdom and love.

That your marriage will be strong

That your love will last

In this life and beyond."

The fathers then handed their respective son and daughter a ring each, to put on the other as they repeated the vows the priest narrated to them.

"I take you my heart

At the rising of the moon