XLII

Xavier had shifted back into his human form during all of the commotion and the second I let go of Jude's limp body, he scrambled away to throw up- he was horrified by what I had just done. However, I didn't feel anything but rage still. Jude deserved that and more for what he had done.

I dropped the knife I was holding and stumbled over to where Xavier sat on the grass, rocking while sobbing. He must be going through a lot right now- his best friend had just died and he had watched his mate murder his sadistic childhood best friend. Dropping to my knees, I wrapping my arms around him tightly.

I wasn't sure whether the hug was more for his benefit or mine, considering I couldn't stop shaking. I had never been a violent person, but I couldn't let Jude get away with something like this yet again. Not to mention, Xavier would never be able to bring himself to kill him and I didn't want him to live with the guilt of letting Jude get away with doing that to Noah.

I silently rocked Xavier back and forth as he sobbed, shaking his head repeatedly. He kept muttering that he was sorry and that he should have been the one to do it, but I simply shushed him. It's better that I did it, because I wouldn't feel even a morsel of guilt- Xavier would have been harrowed by the kill.

"I can't believe it." Xavier cried, "What the fuck am I going to tell Gracie?"

Deep down, I knew that Gracie already knew. There's no way you lose your mate without feeling excruciating pain, pain far worse than what I felt that night I went to hospital. I just hoped to God that she had already had the baby, or the stress could seriously damage them both. Not that I would mention any of this to Xavier, he was already in so much pain.

"Fuck... Gracie... We should really go to her." Xavier's voice was wobbling, but he was already climbing to his feet.

"Are you sure?" I worried, "You don't look stable, Xavier."

"I have to be stable." He shook his head, "I'm the Alpha."

"It's okay if you're not okay, Xavier." I frowned, "Yes, you're the Alpha, but that doesn't mean you have to force yourself to be okay."

"I have to be strong." He argued, "Strong for Gracie, strong for the pack. I almost put everyone in danger in my moment of weakness- I would never have forgiven myself... Thank you, Cameron. I'm sorry you had to do that."

"I'm not." I grumbled, "I'd do it again."

Xavier went quiet at that, squeezing my hand softly in thanks. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see the pack members who showed up to help with Noah still with his body. I tried to block it from Xavier's view, but he sent me a look to tell me that he wanted to say his goodbyes first.

The scene was horrific and I realised that I was covered in both Noah's blood from cradling him and in Jude's blood from... Well, killing him. One of the pack members offered me their shirt and I quickly changed into it, not wanting to visit Gracie while covered in her mate's blood. She's been through enough without me adding to her pain like that.

Xavier knelt at Noah's side for a few minutes, silently crying. He was clearly saying a few words in his head that he wanted to remain private, but I couldn't believe Noah was actually gone. It seemed surreal to me that I wouldn't wake up to Noah having barged into our home, teasing Xavier about still being a virgin... It just didn't feel real at all.

"I'm ready to go." Xavier croaked when he was done, standing up and blinking away the remainder of his tears.

"Are you okay?" I wrapped him a hug, trying to stay strong for him.

"No, but we need to get to Gracie." Xavier sighed, "I couldn't imagine how I would feel if I had lost you, so she must be going through hell."

"Alpha, the remainder of the rogues have been dealt with." A pack member solemnly informed us, his eyes filled with sorrow.