Favourite Dream

As Sukara told her story to Azula and Iroh senior, Azula watched her every word with fascination but Iroh looked slightly worried. The spirits never really asked about her as they've all lived there together for so long. She wasn't sure if they just passed on the story themselves and ignored the Lion Turtles instructions. But she had rarely come across the issue of explaining her past to others before.

"So now I can't leave here," she said finishing up, "and my spirit is in a massive tree over there somewhere."

Sukara gestured in no particular direction as she spoke as she wasn't entirely sure which way the tree was.

"Tell me more about the empire," Azula asked, leaning forward and grabbing onto one of Sukara's legs.

"I don't think that's best," Iroh warned as he watched Azula be a little too interested in the topic.

"I can tell you of the atrocities," Sukara shrugged, "I can tell you about how dictatorships are utter ostrich horse shit that only benefits the leader and those closest. That even those favoured by the dictator are negatively affected because it's a horrific system to live in."

"Or maybe you should hear about it," Iroh laughed as he got up, collecting his cups and tea pot, "I should go and say hi to some friends. I'll be back for you in a bit."

Iroh patted Azula on the shoulder as he left the two of them alone. Turning her head back from Iroh, Sukara noticed that Azula had been staring at her. The young fire bender quickly looked away though in an attempt to hide it. Sukara didn't mind, it made her smile.

"So, is there anything you want to talk about?" Sukara asked as Azula looked back at her.

"No, not today," Azula told her as she moved herself to lay on the grass, her head on Sukara's bent leg.

With her other one outstretched alongside Azula, Sukara just sat and watched her as she traced the seam on her trouser leg.

"That's okay," Sukara said softly, gently brushing strands of Azula's hair out of her face, "whenever you're ready."

The pair sat in comfortable silence with occasional conversation until Iroh returned. They must have been there a while as Azula had fallen asleep by then. The gentle feel of Sukara's fingers combing through her hair had relaxed her enough to rest.

#####

Nothing warmed Sukara's heart more than when she dreamed of Azula. Especially when the memories were so calm. Azula had been the first person she had talked to in a long time but the understanding they had for each other faded away all judgement.

They both knew what it was like to have emotional detachment from a mother. They both knew of the guilt held for the way they hurt others.

Sukara sat up in her bed and looked over to where Iroh II was sleeping. She was glad that he had stayed. It would be nice to have someone around for once and he seemed like a good man. She felt a lot safer with everything out in the open now. She knew questions about her past imperial days would come up eventually but they'd deal with that when they came.