Chapter 8

Neve's POV

I follow Ember to her room, turning to the right once we make it up the stairs. I find it odd that she is taking me to her room, but don't think much of it.

She opens the door, motioning me into the room, stepping in. I look around at the simple room, my curiosity to know more about this girl who is causing feelings I've never felt before. I don't see much that distinguishes this room as hers, except a small quilt that seems to be handmade.

I don't question her about it, knowing she either wouldn't answer or would feel pressured to. I don't want to make her uncomfortable.

"Sit. This may take awhile," Ember says as she closes the door behind her. Nodding, I sit on the soft bed, bouncing on it lightly from my nerves. I'm reminded how soft beds are by just sitting on this one, I can't imagine how nice it would be to lay on it. I run my hands over it, pressing on the top, watching my hand sink. Pulling away, I notice how the bed slowly rises back to its original shape.

I'm lost in my inspection of the bed, so I don't notice her sitting down right beside me. Looking up to her, I blush realizing she saw what I just did. She sends me a soft smile, seemingly understanding of my situation. She must've realized I haven't been on a bed in too many years, and decided not to make fun of me.

"There is an important question I have to ask you. Who were you worried about finding you?" Immediately, I tense at her question, not expecting it.

I weigh the pros and cons of telling her about the people who are after me, but eventually come to a decision. She is in danger too, it isn't just me anymore.

Sighing, I take a deep breath, trying to prepare myself for this conversation. "I don't know who they are, but they are obsessed with power. They hunted me down and killed the one person I cared about. She died protecting me, and they will kill anyone else that stands in their way. That's all I know."

"No name?" Ember asks curiously, though I see the sadness in her eyes from what I said.

"I've never heard their organization's name, but I know they will do anything to be more powerful, even if that means taking all of the gifted people and using them as they please. I don't know their goal, all I know is that they are after me, and I'm guessing others as well." I soon realize that if Ember knows more gifted people, they are all in danger. "I call them 'the Hunters' because that is what it felt like; like I was being hunted."

She nods, taking in all the information I've given her. Sighing, she lays back on the bed. "Well this complicates things."

"How so?" What is more complicated now than it was before?

"I want to protect you, but I also have to protect my friends. Protecting you puts my friends in danger." That makes sense... But why would she want to protect me?

"I've been fine for five years, I'll be fine for longer. I've been on my own long enough to know not to make attachments, meaning that you protecting me is a bad idea. I don't want anyone caught in the crossfire." Making the decision for her, I get up to leave. Before I can, she grabs my hand. Startled, I turn to her as she now has my attention.

She shoots me a small but sure smile, before saying, "If what you said is true... we are all in danger. There is no reason to not protect you. You are one of us now."

"What do you mean, 'one of us now?' Who are you really?" I ask in a trembling voice, knowing something more sinister is going on than I realized. Everything has added up to this one answer.

"You are now one of us, a part of the gang called 'the Untamed.'"