Sneaking Out

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

It was late. Really late. Half past midnight when Maya looked over at her beside table and read her alarm clock. She sighed as she thought about how she was going to get out.

They were doing construction on the street below and had the outside of the fire escape completely blocked off. You really only could use it for emergency's. So Maya would never be able to get away with climbing down the fire escape like she usually could. She would have to use the front door.

There was only a slight problem with that. Josh was staying in her living room. He was asleep on the couch because Shawn had invited him over as the Matthews we're away at a family reunion that Josh had no interest in going to. So Shawn had invited him to stay there with him.

Maya had an issue. Normally she would have Riley cover for her if something were to happen and her parents were to realize that she wasn't home, but Riley wasn't here. But she needed to go. He would be waiting for her.

She got out of bed and started dressing in a causal tee and jeans. She put her shoes on and grabbed her phone and keys. She hoped that she would be able to sneak back in through the window when she came back, but she brought her keys just in case they still had someone on guard over the fire escape.
She left her window unlocked. She grabbed the bag that was sitting beside her bed that was filled with the usual stuff. She placed it over her shoulder.

She crept down the hall, being careful not to step on the creaking spots. She made her way into the living room to see Josh passed out on the couch. She took some time to stare at him and smile at his figure. They hadn't been able to interact much the night before. Shawn was very aware of their 'someday' deal.

Not wanting to waste anymore time, Maya slowly tiptoed to where the front door was. If it was one thing that she had learned about Josh, he was a very light sleeper. And the slightest noise could make him wake up, her and Riley had learned that fairly quickly when he would stay at the Matthews house.

Maya unlocked the door and opened it softly, she tried not to let it creak as it opened. She opened it just enough to let her body slip through and close it back. As soon as she thought she was in the clear, she let out a sigh of relief. But just as she walked away, the door clicked and creaked open. Maya shut her eyes and inwardly groaned as she turned around and came face to face with a bewildered Josh.

He looked confused and very sleepy as he blinked at her a few times before bringing his hands up and rubbing his eyes. His hair was messy as he brought a hand up to run through it and then brought his hands down to look at Maya more clearly.

"What are you doing?" He asked her, his tone low and raspy from just waking up. Maya bit her lip.

"Nothing, go back to sleep." She told him. Josh rolled his eyes at her.

"Yeah right." He stated. "Why are you sneaking out?" He asked her. His eyes narrowed a little and he bit the inside of his jaw. "Are you going to meet up with a guy?" He asked her. Trying to keep his tone as causal as possible. Maya's eyes widened a little.

"No!" She snapped. "I'm just going out for a walk, by myself and I'm not meeting up with anyone." She lied quietly. Josh looked a bit taken back, but more relaxed at her answer as his shoulders relaxed from their tensed form.

"At one o'clock in the morning?" He asked her again. Maya sighed as she looked down at her watch and saw that she had fifteen minutes before one and she would like to get to the park. "What's in the bag?" He asked her as he looked and noticed the bag on her shoulder for the first time.