018

! chapter eighteen !

─── ∙ ~ ✩ ~ ∙ ───

HAVEN WAS BUSY STUFFING her face with food when Dumbledore had stepped up to his podium, making the Dining Hall fall silent. She still continued to eat, ducking her head before the bearded-man would catch her in the act of not paying attention, and lecture her about it later. "Very best of evenings to you all," the headmaster started. "First off, let me introduce the newest member of our staff: Horace Slughorn." A round of applause went around the room as an unfamiliar older man stood up from his seat at the front of the table. "Professor Slughorn has agreed to resume his old post as Potions Master. Meanwhile, the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts will be taken by Professor Snape."

"About time," Haven muttered, leaning over to Malory. "He's been wanting that position since before we were even first years."

"Now as you know," Dumbledore went on. "Each and every one of you was searched upon arriving here tonight. And you have the right to know why. Once...there was a young man who, like you, sat in this very hall. Walked this castle's corridors, slept under its roof. He seemed to all the world a student like any other. His name, Tom Riddle." Murmurs went throughout the room, but they quickly dialed down once Dumbledore began to speak again. Haven's eyes drifted towards the Slytherin table, and they paused once landing on a familiar blonde head. Haven felt herself frown at his expression, he was slouching in his seat, a hand resting on his chin, and he seemed to be zoned out. He looked extremely upset, and Haven felt the sudden urge to check up on him that instant.

She didn't, deciding that she'd do it after they were let out of the hall, but she still found her eyes slipping over in his direction multiple times during Dumbledore's speech. Although a small part of her wished she didn't care so much. He literally broke Harry's nose. She should've hated him for that—but she couldn't find it in her heart to.

"Today, of course," Dumbledore continued. "He is known all over the world by another name. Which is why, as I stand looking upon on all of you tonight, I'm reminded of a sobering fact. Every day, every hour, this very minute, perhaps, dark forces attempt to penetrate these castle's walls. But in the end, their greatest weapon is you. Just something to think about."

The hall quickly cleared out after that, and Haven found herself searching for Draco. She'd finally managed to snag him at the top of one of the staircases, catching him by the arm. She was surprised to see him alone, but she was even more surprised when he quickly pulled his hand out of her grasp, tugging on his sleeve nervously. He looked down at her, an unreadable emotion in his eyes.

"Are you alright?" She questioned.

"Just tired," Draco replied, "why do you ask?"

"Despite my efforts to hate you for all you've done to my brother and his friends, I can't. So once again, here I am worrying about your wellbeing." When he didn't say anything in response, she sighed. "You seem upset, is all. I was just wondering."