Chapter Twenty-Seven: Something Wrong With Me

When I got home, my Dad and Eleven were both asleep, but judging from the fact that Dad was surrounded by candy wrappers and the TV was in El and I's room, I had a feeling the evening had not gone as planned.

I quietly pushed the door open and shut it behind me, changing into my pajamas and climbing into bed. I stared at the ceiling, my mind reeling with what i had just seen. That was not a flashback. It can't have been I've never seen that thing before in my life. It was alive, it was real I saw it. I felt it, and it wants Will and I for something, but I don't know what. I don't know if I want to know.

Nancy and Steve's whole problem is that they both want things to go back to normal, and Steve is better at bouncing back than she is. But what If, unless you have the weird emotional powers that Steve Harrington does...things can't go back to normal? I mean, why did I think that I could talk again and hang out with my friends and become a big sister again and that I could leave my trauma behind me?

And aside from that, I'm here having romantic feelings towards my best friend's boyfriend, and my little sister is a kid with superpowers on the run from some very bad people, so the normalcy that I have managed to salvage isn't normal at all, so why am I trying to be normal again? Its clearly not a possibility.

I pressed my hand over my mouth as tears began to stream down the sides of my face, soaking my pillow.. I fought to keep my sobs as silent as I could, but it must not have worked because next thing I knew, the bed was dipping down beside me and Eleven was there, her chin resting on top of my shoulders and her arms wrapping around mine.

"Its ok." She whispered, grabbing my hand and intertwining our fingers.  I let myself continue to cry, not being able to stop once I'd started, and Eleven just stayed beside me, comforting me until eventually we both fell asleep.

~~~

When my alarm clock went off the next morning, it clicked off automatically, signalling that Eleven had turned it off with her mind. I sat up, rubbing my tear-stained face and blowing out a breath. I looked over at Eleven, who turned on her side to look at me.

"Thanks. I needed that." I said. She nodded.

"Friends don't leave friends alone." She said, repeating what I had said to her in the school last year. I smiled when our bedroom door opened and Dad appeared inside of it.

"Rise and shine." He said, causing me to furrow my eyebrows. El got out of bed, walking back over to hers and laying down, turning to face the wall. "So that's it, huh? You're still not talking?" I furrowed my eyebrows at Dad, who shook his head. "Alright...I guess Riley and I are just gonna have to uh...enjoy this triple-decker Eggo Extravaganza on our own."

~~~

Eleven and I quickly got dressed and walked out to see that Dad had three Eggos put together with whipped cream between them, and candy coating the top and the surrounding plate.

"Dad, that looks disgusting." I pointed out, opting to grab an apple from the bowl on the counter instead. He shrugged.

"More for us." He cut it in half, licking the whipped cream off of his knife as Eleven speared an Eggo and took a bite. "Mmm! Mmm! Good, right? I know, you know the great thing about it? Its only 8,000 calories."

"Oh, is that all?" I asked. Eleven just stared at him, clearly unamused.  Dad sighed, glancing over at the TV cord still stringing into our room.

"You visited him again last night?" I looked over at El.

"He says he needs me." She answered.

"You want me or Riley to go check on him?" She shook her head. "I know that you miss him, alright? But its too dangerous. You're the last thing he needs right now. You're gonna see him, soon. And not just in that head of yours. You're gonna see him in real life. I feel like I'm making progress with these people."