#9 The Trip

POV Anna

When they said we'll go to the lake, I thought we'll be camping at the lakeside with fish rods, flimsy chairs and canned foods. Instead, I'm now sitting on a fancy chair, over a fancy deck of a fancy lakehouse, eating fancy food prepared by a fancy chef.

Just how rich is Joes' family?

"How long are you going to keep practicing after school?" Adam asks Joe. From their past ten minutes worth of conversation I learned that Adam wants his son to show interest in their family business, and Joe is only interested in football.

What Ruth told me that day comes to my mind, about how she wants her dad and brother to get along. This is what she must've been talking about.

"We're in the middle of a tournament, dad. Once we win, we won't have to practice as much," Joe says.

His dad sighs. I'm surprised Adam is not excited about Joe playing football as any normal father would be. But then again, I'm beginning to think no one is normal in Joe's family.

"What about you, Anna?" Adam asks me. "How do you feel about my son being so busy with the football practice all the time?"

Nothing. I feel absolutely nothing. "It's nice to see him play. He always looks like he's having a great time playing. I hope Parson High wins the tournament." I don't even know what tournament he was talking about.

Adam nods thoughtfully. "In that case, maybe we all should go watch the match if they reach the finals."

It wasn't just me who was looking surprised at the table. And that surprises me even more. It seems like Joe's dad is not one to go to matches. "That would be great," I tell him confidently. I just realized I make a fine girlfriend. Damn you, Mason.

After brunch, Joe's mom asks Joe to take me for a "walk". The way they all act is like they've never met a human identified as Joe's girlfriend before. During our walk, Joe says, "What did you do that my dad keeps agreeing with you?"

"The question is what did you do that your dad keeps agreeing with me? The way your family is acting it's as if they've never met anyone you'd dated before. I'm getting the royal treatment, Joe. Except from your sister, of course, who I still had not forgotten had blackmailed me."

"That's cuz I don't date anyone," he says.

"Wait, that's for real? It's a thing? You don't do girlfriends?" I ask.

"You thought it was a rumor?"

"I thought it was one those bad attributes girls give popular boys so that they can crush over someone with a bad boy persona."

"And that's a thing?" he asks with furrowed eyebrows. I nod. Of course it's a thing. There aren't that many quality real-life bad boys out there. He shakes his head. "Well, in my case, it's true," he says.

"Aren't you taking advantage of the girls you hook up with?"

"I'm never with someone who wants a serious relationship. They know I want to keep it casual. It's mutual."

And what if they fall for him after sleeping with him? I don't think he has thought of that. "Your funeral," I tell him, "Anyway, I was thinking, since I'm being such a resourceful fake girlfriend to you, even making your dad thinking about going to your match, I would very much like to ask you a favor."

"That's not how this works. People who owe shouldn't ask for favors," he says.

"Will you at least listen to me first before getting all righteous with me? It's a simple favour: Can you meet me in front of my school for a few seconds? You won't have to do or say anything. Just stand there for a few seconds and then leave."

"I thought you didn't want us to be seen together," he says.

"By my family. It's totally fine if anyone from my school sees us," I tell her.

"So you could show me off to your schoolmates?"

I nod. "Aren't you the one taking advantage of others?" he says. "I'm asking this as a favor!" I tell him.

"No," he says. "Can't you just think over it for a second?" I say.

"No," he repeats.

"How about you sleep on it?"

"No."

"What if–"

"No," he says as he keeps walking next to me looking forward. How can someone be so selfish? I went to dinner with him, listened to his scary sister, came to the lake with him, and even supported him in front of his dad, and he won't do this one small thing for me? I'm upset.

Except for when we're in front of his family, I don't speak to him.

In the late evening when he drops me near my home, from where my family can't see us, he says, "Stop it with the silent treatment." I ignore him and get out of the car, closing the door behind me.