Ch 6 & 7: The Riot in Chernobog

Lin Ye and Shining's conversation is interrupted by the knocking on the door.

It is already nighttime, and Lin Ye has no idea who the visitor might be. After all, Chernobog's military police should still be looking for Shining. They may be here for her. Shining nods at Lin Ye. Then, she takes her stuff and hides in the bathroom. After a few seconds, Lin Ye opens the door while pretending to grumble about the trouble of having a guest at this hour.

When he opens the door, he sees not the military police, but a brown-haired boy.

He knows the kid. They are neighbours, and the kid's name is Aesop. He has a twin sister named Elan. The twins belong to the race of Vulpo. They have cute furry ears and are always together.

However, Lin Ye doesn't see Elan, only panicking Aesop

"What's wrong?" Lin Ye asks, "Is your "Toot Toot" depressed again?"

"Toot Toot" is Elan and Aesop's dog by the way, whose physical health is great all around, but the same can't be said for its mental health. The dog is always depressed, so much so that it doesn't eat, which makes the twins worry. And when they are worried, they come to Lin Ye for help. Only when Lin Ye is next to Toot Toot will it eat. Because of that, Lin Ye's relationship with the twins is pretty good.

"Not Toot Toot." Aesop shakes his head, and he seems to be on the verge of crying, "Not Toot Toot. It's big sis!"

"Ah?" Lin Ye asks, "Your sister? She is depressed too?"

"Big sis is gone..."

"You should have asked the police for help." Lin Ye is a bit speechless. Why do the twins ask him for everything? He's just a vet, "What can I do?"

"Sis is infected!" Aesop is crying now, "Stones are growing on her body, and people saw that."

Lin Ye freezes up after hearing that.

"Elan is infected? But how?" Lin Yin holds Aesop's shoulders, trying to calm the kid down, "Where are both of  your parents?"

"Mom and dad already left for Sis. They... they wanted me to stay at home, and don't go anywhere else." Aesop sniffles, "Sis hurt people, so many people. And people are looking for her now."

Lin Ye has a good grasp of the situation now, albeit not the full picture, but enough. He pats Aesop's shoulder and asks the kid to wait outside for a second, after promising to help him find Elan. When Aesop is somewhat calmed down, Lin Ye closes the door and goes back inside.

Shining walks out of the bathroom and looks at Lin Ye next to his bed.

"Did you hear us?"

Shining nods, "Your voices weren't that quiet."

Lin Ye smiles bitterly, "I guess we have to push back my induction ceremony for another time."

Shining shakes her head, "There is no induction ceremony, so are you going to find that girl?"