-14-

ANAYA CALDWELL
Junior Year

"A bagel and an iced tea please." I pointed towards the exact cinnamon raisin bagel I had been eyeing the entire time I waited in line. The lady took it off the tray with tongs, popping into the toaster. "With cream cheese on the side?" I requested, making my way over to the register.

Taking my lunch in hand, I cut my way across the buzzing lunchroom until I finally got to where Prince was sitting. "I swear I gotta find a way to get out of class quicker, these lines are killing me."

"Or you could always make a lunch." He smirked, holding his sandwich up just before taking a big bite.

"I'd rather not. I try to keep my distance from every living organism in that house, my mother being at the top of the list." I unwrapped my bagel and took a quick bite. "She hates me as far as I'm concerned. I stay far away from central areas like the kitchen and living room area."

"Your mom does not hate you."

"Trust me!" my eyes lowered, "she hates me. Ever since Yara moved in with her soon to be baby father; she's been mute. It's as if I'm living with a complete stranger."

"Well, did you speak to her about it?"

"Prince, you know I am a very vocal person when it comes to things bothering me. I've begged, cried and pleaded with that lady for years. I'm over it, I haven't done a single thing to make her this hostile towards me."

"There has to be some kind of reason, a mother doesn't just act that way towards her kids."

I shrugged, "Yara says it's something about my father's eyes but I don't see why that would be so big of any issue. They're only separated, living two different lives. If he broke her heart by moving on, it's about time she got her healing. I can't fix how my eyes look."

"I mean... you can." He raised his brows in a suggesting manner, in response I gave him a dirty glare. "I'm just saying."

"Whatever." I waved him off, "I'm starting to feel like I might as well just move in with my dad at this rate. It's getting uncomfortable to the point where I'm only eating the snacks I have stashed in my room, the house feels nothing like the home I once grew in."

"This is so random, you and your mom used to have such a healthy relationship from what I remember."

"Or so I thought, I'm starting to realize Yara was the buffer and with her gone; the true feelings are coming out."

Prince shook his head as he finished off eating his sandwich, once he was done, he tossed the napkin into the garbage can a few inches away from me. "Did I get it?" he asked, rising up from his seat to catch a glimpse.

"Of course, you didn't... your middle name is brick city!" I heard a deeper tone say from behind me, I turned around to see the beautiful, the gorgeous, the man himself; Dominic Alexander strolling with his posse right by his side. My mouth nearly watered at the sight, I had zero appetite for my food; I just wanted a taste of him. Although he was way out my league, I had dreams that one day he would be mine, I didn't know how or when being as he didn't even know of my existence but if there's one thing I knew for sure; it was that I would have him! "I broke your ankles in freshman year, didn't you learn from then?" He teased, causing the group of guys he walked with to abrupt in laughter.

Prince waited for him to pass before he returned to his seat. "I don't even know why he comes here, he dropped out two years ago!"

"I don't mind seeing him every now and again." I continued to follow Dominic while he dapped up a bunch of guys in the food court, he also stopped to talk to some of the girls of course. Girls I couldn't compare to even on a good day.