Chapter 25: Looking For The One Who Took Her

Alice (Rain) POV:

I stare up at the ceiling as I munch on a pop tart, contemplating just what exactly in my life has led me up to this point.

Harry sits beside me on the couch, watching American Dad while also eating a pop tart.

I'm sure he's wondering what exactly has led him to this point too.

After what happened at the club, we have been laying low. Harry's Men have rented out hotels, as well as Harry himself, and been researching from a distance on where Mia could've possibly gone. So far we have no leads, beside the fact that Matteo Giovanni had booked a private room the night that Mia was taken.

I called his secretary a few days ago, wanting to book a meeting with him, but she had said he was taking the week off and wouldn't be back in the office for another four days. Which leaves us to sit around, researching into anyone who Mia could've possibly been affiliated with.

"What about Dante?" Harry asks, his head turning in my direction, but I pay him no mind. "He was the one who approached Mia about the job at her uni."

I nod my head. "Yeah, but he is working with Matteo so we can just group them together." I say.

"I don't think we should do that, we should treat everyone as an individual suspect. We need to make sure that everyone is thoroughly inspected." He combats.

I clench my teeth. I hate how he's right sometimes.

"Considering that Matteo is indisposed, perhaps we could arrange a meeting with Dante in the meantime. We can ask him about Matteo and scope the scene out."

"You're right." I agree.

"Of course I am." He says. I look up to his face which holds no emotion. Harry has always been so serious, never daring to crack a smile. I think if he did, the world might just break.

But i understand in the current situation, he must be heavily stressed. Roman is putting a lot of pressure on him, and I've been hearing their phone calls recently which have only been getting more heated as time goes by.

If we don't find Mia soon, I think that Roman may even consider punishing Harry. Despite their circumstances, I know that Mia is Romans world. She is everything he ever wanted her to be, and suddenly she is gone, and he has no idea who has taken her.

Me, on the other hand--I've been trying to act as cool as possible around Harry. Of course he acts as though our past is nonexistent, which annoys me to the core. He is only business, which makes being near him painful.

I used to love this man, I used to think he loved me.

But now we are just strangers.

"I'll contact Dante, and arrange dinner." I say as I sit up from the couch.

"No, i'll do that." Harry says quickly. "We can't risk the possibility that he knows who you are."

I sigh. Once again Harry is right. I slump back into the couch and fix my eyes on the stupid cartoon ahead of me. I feel Harry shift his weight on the couch along with me.

"I doubt that Matteo will be involved, i mean, why would he even bother with Mia, he's got the whole of the New York mafia to deal with, as well as preparing to take over the Italian mafia." I say, picking out the dirt from underneath my nails.

"It doesn't matter what we think, we just have to get the job done." Harry says, in his bland, deep voice.

"Why are you so dull, Harry?" I ask, finally snapping at his cool, calm and composed nature. "Why are you acting like we didn't used to love each other?"