Chapter 26: Interrogation

Matteo held me as we slowly made our way towards the dining room, where I had stabbed him with the fork over a week ago. It feels so strange knowing that I've been missing for over a week now, for over a week people have been unable to find me.

I barely hide the uneasiness I feel, and I find it making its way towards my stomach, substituting the feeling of hunger with sickness.

Matteo's warm breath caresses my cheek as i feel his gaze draw to my face, burning my skin. My face heats up, but I have a feeling it's been permanently stained red with all the embarrassment I have suffered while being held captive.

Matteo smiles warmly, but I make sure to look away from him.

I don't need him mistaking him for helping me as him earning my trust. I doubt I'll ever be able to trust him.

I can feel the strain of the short distance on my limbs, confirming that escape is just a thought until I'm better. My feet burn as they attempt to readjust to having pressure on them.

"We're almost there." Matteo says. I let out a sigh of relief as we enter the dining room, and my eyes glance at the two plates of eggs and bacon on the table. Guiding me to the same chair I had been seated at a week ago, Matteo slowly lowers me onto the seat.

I'm grateful for when he lets go of me, however I can't help but notice just how cold I feel now that his warmth has left me.

He takes a seat beside me, at the head of the table, however he doesn't begin to eat, and just stares at me. Me, on the other hand, I don't hesitate, and instantly reach for my knife and fork which I now realise are plastic.

I shouldn't be surprised.

I give no reaction, and begin cutting into my food and taking large bites of the egg on toast. I physically can't take big enough bites to subside the immense hunger that is eating me from the inside out.

And all the while Matteo is just staring.

Once I've cleared my plate clean, I turn to Matteo who has also eaten his food. I didn't even notice him pick up his cutlery. I must've been so engrossed in my own plate...

"So," He begins. "Tell me about your family, Mia."

I clench my teeth at the question. Why does he want to know about my family? Is he suspicious? Or does he want to kill them to make sure that I don't try to escape again?

"My Mum is the only person who's raised me. She's the only family who i know." I lie straight through my teeth--though it's so rehearsed that it comes easily. I could be a professional actress with all the shit I've had to memorise.

"What about your father." Matteo pries, and by the slight raising of his left eyebrow I can tell that this is what he really wants to know about. He's definitely suspicious. I can only imagine the horrors he'll put me through if he finds out the truth...

I gulp, and run my hand through my hair. "My father died when I was young in a car crash."

"What was his job? Did he have any connections? Was your father family friends with Roman Marino?" His questions are shot like bullets at me. It's like he's trying to make me slip up, he's trying to find out the blank holes within my past.

"I don't know, like I said; I was young, just a baby." Clenching my jaw, I hope he doesn't ask any more questions about my father, real or fake. I'm guessing that Matteo has a file on me or something, being the leader of the New York mafia, he probably knows everything about everyone.

Which makes whatever I say, dangerous.

I can't slip up.

Matteo nods and leans back in his chair, taking a sip from his glass of water.