58. A Conversation in Arthur's Shed

(993 words)

Malfoy took a deep breath and said quietly, 'can I have a word?'

'Sure,' Ron answered, wondering what the hell the pointy git wanted to talk to him about.

He shouldn't really think of Malfoy like that, hell, he was still amazed they could be in the same room together without hurling insults. He wondered, briefly, when that had happened. He supposed it was sometime in year eight. To be honest, Ron was tired of fighting. It all seemed so petty after an actual war. And maybe he was supposed to be really angry about Fred but maybe Malfoy was supposed to be really angry about his father too. No, Ron didn't have the energy for that anymore. Sometimes he wasn't even sure why he'd joined the Aurors. Sure, he was good at Defence against the Dark Arts; Harry and Mione had seen to that, but more and more he was thinking about leaving and joining George in the shop. Let's face it, being an Auror wasn't an old man's game and now he was getting married and he wanted to think about children, if Mione was ready, well, maybe he should talk to Mione about that soon.

He sighed and saw Malfoy looking at him quizzically. 'Just thinking,' he muttered.

'Don't hurt that brain cell,' Draco smirked.

Okay, maybe the fight hasn't gone completely and he sent a tripping curse at Malfoy's feet, but it was definitely half-hearted.

'Shall we go to dad's shed?' Ron offered.

They were at The Burrow for his mum's birthday. It was one of the Weasley-family rules, you don't miss Molly's birthday or Mother's Day and if you can't be home, you Floo-call. When Percy was being a wanker, well, a bigger wanker than usual, it was awful, she'd cried non-stop and everyone hated him all the more. Poor sod! He's never fully recovered.

He pushed open his dad's shed door and shuddered as several large spiders scuttled into dark corners.

Malfoy raised a perfectly disdainful eyebrow and Ron wondered how many times he'd practiced that look in front of the mirror.

'I thought Harry sold the bike...' he said.

Ron had heard about Malfoy's singular foray as pillion and it was his turn to smirk, 'nah, I think he keeps it in hope to scare you again. Dad's just storing it and Charlie uses it when he's over.'

'Oh,' Malfoy said.

Ron wondered if he was okay, he looked a bit pale, that is, paler than usual. He heaved himself up onto the dusty workbench, his legs swinging and watched Malfoy run his fingers along the black tank.

'It was the first time I realised the depths of my feelings for Harry,' he said.

Ron grimaced, hoping he wasn't going to get some loved up soppy story. It wasn't that he couldn't cope with his bestfriend being gay or whatever he wanted to call himself, it was just he didn't want to hear about the gory details. And although he knew Malfoy was alright really, it was just a bit weird knowing that they were doing sex stuff.

He watched Malfoy swing a long leg over the bike and sit down. 'I was frightened after the Boggart showed Voldemort rising again, I wanted to know he was safe but all I could do was watch from the sidelines as you and Mione tried to persuade McGonagall to let you go to him. I didn't even have that right. And when I saw him in Montenegro, half-dead on that fucking crucifix with Wormtail drawing his blood and that cauldron... just like when the Boggart...'

Malfoy distractedly ran a finger over the handlebars.

'...Maybe he needs this freedom. An escape from the pressure he's under with work, the constant reminders of the war, even me, I guess I'm not the easiest of men to be with.'

'I don't know,' Ron said honestly. 'He's been happier since he's been with you, more engaged with life. When we went back to Hogwarts, I was worried he was going to collapse inwards, he was starting to retreat but I watched you pull him back. To be honest, Malfoy. I struggle with the concept of you two together, but I'm so heterosexual, I don't get it. But I see what you mean to each other and I know you love each other. Hell, Montenegro was evidence of that, you got him out.'

'He's asked me to marry him...' Malfoy said quietly and Ron waited, surprised that Harry hadn't said anything.

'When?'

'When we were in Thailand. I...' he paused. 'I didn't answer even though there's nothing more I want in this world. I love him, Ron. And I want to propose properly.' He turned to Ron and looked at him in the eyes. 'In absence of a father figure, I want to ask your permission, for your blessing...'

Ron didn't break that eye-contact but his stomach clenched, for the honour of being asked. He jumped down off the bench and strode towards Malfoy, holding out his hand. And when Malfoy took it cautiously, Ron shook his hand firmly. 'Thank you,' he said, his voice surprisingly choked. 'You don't know what that means to me, as his bestmate. And yes, you have my blessing. I know you love him and that's all that matters.'

Malfoy swallowed deeply as a small smile played at his lips. 'Thank you, Ron.'

'When are you going to ask him?' Ron smiled, jumping back up onto the workbench.

Malfoy shrugged, 'I was going to ask on Christmas Day but I didn't want to distract from George and Pansy. I don't know. Soon.'

'Valentine's Day?' Ron smirked.

'A bit corny...' Malfoy grimaced.

Ron smiled, 'well, you know where we are if you want help!'

Malfoy sneered, 'I think I can manage, but thanks.'

'Can I tell Mione? She'll go ballistic if she finds out I know and she doesn't.'

'It's fine,' Draco couldn't help smirking. 'I've already asked her.'

*****