Chapter 1: Let's Disappoint Each Other

She was going to jump. They wanted her to jump. She wanted to jump. The reasons why didn't matter because the end goal was the same.

"You'll have to jump soon. The light spirit is closing in now," one of them whispered as they all kept their heads bowed down.

It wasn't any easier being rejected the third time and neither was it any easier the eighth time. She may have been blind, literally blind, but she did care for these people even though they thought she was of no use to them anymore. 

"Stand still girl. When I tell you to jump up, jump."

Being the avatar was hard.

It was night and she was standing at the edge of the last rock steps on an unnamed mountain. The sounds of the ever-growing hole above them that would take her away to who knew where were surprisingly relaxing.

The old village ambassador took her hand and sighed. "This has never happened before. I'm sorry it has to be this way. But two avatars in this world can only bring imbalance..." 

"Everything about this screams 'recipe for disaster' Ambassador." Kintsugi sighed. "But don't worry, I don't blame you. I'm pretty good at bad decisions too."

The Ambassador let out a grunt. "Being blind is in no way your fault. But the new avatar has so much potential. If you were to ever meet him, you would agree as well. He may be a child, but he is quite gifted already. Try to see it from our point of view..."

She pointed her head upward, "...And I may be visually impaired, but you could have at least tried to train me more and let me help you.  Well, I'll be seeing you never. Thanks for nothing."

Was she supposed to feel physical pain as she was sucked into the hole? She hoped it was normal. But who was she kidding. 

"I should have eaten something before coming to their excommunication."

She jumped up.