Chapter 23 - A gentle soul and the heart of a saiyan!

I pull Goku out of the water, where Piccolo and Vegeta are waiting for us on a patch of land. The entire area is flooded from us throwing up the water.

"Is it over?" I ask. Vegeta doesn't answer. Me and Goku lie down on the grass, trying to catch our breath. Gohan and Krillin fly down to us.

"Dad! You're alive!" Gohan cries.

"It was tough, but I think it's over now. Frieza was a monster and he had to be stopped. Now, the galaxy is free from his rule," Goku says with relief.

Dende goes to us all and heals us, but we aren't too damaged. Just tired. That was by far the hardest fight I've ever fought, and the same goes for the others by the looks of them.

"You know Goku, I don't plan on changing anything. I still plan on killing you one day and taking over the world," Piccolo says.

Goku chuckles. "That's fine. I'll just have to make sure that I can beat you when that time does come. The same goes for you too, Vegeta," he answers.

But Vegeta isn't listening. He's come off the ground and is staring at the hole we made. Goku notices and flies up to him, but I stick around.

I look over to Gohan. "You have some real talent, kid. You're thousands of times stronger than any of us were when we were your age. If you train with one of us, just a little, you'll benefit from it." Gohan looks down at his feet and walks away. I don't want to force him, he has his own life. But that kind of power may be useful in the future.

Vegeta and Goku are still flying around the pit, probably making sure Frieza's dead. After a minute, they return and relax.

"It looks like we're in the clear. It over..." Goku says.

"We should leave," I say. I can feel the ground shaking and it's getting hotter. Who knows what an attack of that power did to the planet?

Everyone agrees and we all begin to leave. Vegeta stays away from everyone else, clearly not wanting to be involved with us. I doubt he'll come to Earth with us either.

"For this one and only time, you have my thanks. You've helped me kill the tyrant who oppressed and ultimately killed the saiyan race. We were a savage civilisation, so it may have been for the best. But not by Frieza. We only survived by luck. If we hadn't survived, the saiyans would have just become another planet destroyed by Frieza and forgotten. So this once, thank y-"

But something stops Vegeta mid sentence. A ray pierces through his back and out his chest.

Frieza is still alive! He's stood in a rock in front of us

Frieza is still alive! He's stood in a rock in front of us. He must have his his power level and snuck up on us while Vegeta was talking.

"It's surprising how little use you would get out of being able to breath underwater. You'd think I'd spend lots of my time in the sea, but I don't really care for it. I drink it and that's about it. It's nice to remember you have all these little skills every now and then when you need them."

He must have swam out of the hole and stayed underwater the whole time! I fire a ki blast at him and he deflects it easily.

"You have pushed me to the limit in every way I can imagine. I've lost my army, my wish and my dignity. The only thing I'll have when I walk out of this is your heads. That's a comfort."

I go into Kaioken X10 and jump at him, but he bats me aside. Goku does the same and suffers the same fate as me. Piccolo uses Kaioken and extends his arms to grab Frieza's neck, but his arms are ripped off and he's thrown to us. Piccolo yells and regrows his arms, which drains him.

We all keep trying to hit him, but he dodges everything. He grabs my wrist and throws me over his shoulder. He catches Goku's leg and swings him into Piccolo, who's sent flying. Frieza hooks his tail around Goku's leg and flies at me with Goku behind him. I get ready to hit him, but he spins around and lets go of Goku, throwing him at me.

"Ow ow ow ow! Alpha, we can't beat him like this! We don't have any energy left and we can't use an attack that'll take long to charge. We just have to keep fighting!" he says while on the ground.

I stop listening for a moment. When Vegeta used that attack... Can I learn it? I take a deep breath. Usually, we only channel our energy through our hands. But what about other parts of our body? I channel past my arms, to my head and into my mouth. Bright blue energy fills it. It's hot and powerful and I can barely contain it. Now I see how Vegeta could beat me with this attack. The mouth is good for a more concentrated and powerful attack, but it's clear that it'd kill me if it was too powerful.

I let the ki build up for as long as I can. I use Kaioken X10 and the ki turns red with aura. Now I can't hold it any longer. With a roar like Vegeta's, I release it towards Frieza.

"SUPER BREATH CANNON!"

It hits Frieza, who tries to push it back. It overwhelms him and he can only block it to reduce the damage.

"I don't know what that was, but it wasn't enough! That's it! I'm ending this for good! Right now, right here!" he shouts, still smoking from the attack. He powers up and I gather Goku and Piccolo.

"If we're going to beat him, we can't conserve our energy. We have to use everything we have and kill him with our full power," I say.

Goku and Piccolo nod. Piccolo and Goku cross their arms over their chests and I do the same.

"Kaioken X10!"

"Kaioken X10!"

"Kaioken X5!"

Our power shoots up and we launch at Frieza with everything we have. Frieza pushes away Piccolo but me and Goku punch him simultaneously. He's knocked back and we fire lots of Ki blasts at him. He deflects them away. Piccolo grabs him from behind and throws him up, extending his arms to punch Frieza from a long distance. He wraps them around Frieza like ropes and I fire more ki blasts. This time they hit.

"No! You will not touch me with your filthy hands, Namekian!" he shouts. He breaks free and blows away the ki blasts with an explosion of his aura. He shoots a beam at Piccolo through the smoke and Piccolo is unable to block it. It pierced his chest and he falls to the ground, barely alive.

"Piccolo!" Goku shouts. He launches at Frieza and punches him away. I fly over to them, but they're already really far away. Frieza reaches out his hands and pulls up a huge chunk of the ground. He throws it at Goku, who destroys it with a ki blast. The smoke gives him some cover and he sends lots of ki blasts to mask his energy.

My instincts are telling me this is bad. I fly faster, but suddenly Frieza turns up behind Goku.

"Goku! Behind you!" I shout. I'm too late. Frieza hits Goku from point blank range with a ki blast and Goku turns around to see him. He sees me flying towards them and smiles.

When the lights fades, he's burned black and red. His smoking body falls to the ground and lies still. I can't sense his energy at all.

Goku is dead.