Ch 27: Cat and Devil

(How did things turn out like this?!)

Lin Yie cannot comprehend what just happened.

Although Shining told him about Nightingale and how approaching her would be difficult, he had never thought it would be this hard. 

He thought it was just a little girl throwing a tantrum or like a kitten getting mad or something around that difficulty level. As long as he is quick enough, things should have been fine, but he never thought this would happen. 

(What are those vines?! Where did they come from?! Isn't this just scientifically possible) 

Although it is kind of dumb to talk about science in a world with magic, it was his first time seeing magic up-close. It caught him off guard.

Shining was right. Nightingale is a very powerful devil. He can feel the power emanating from those vines and he believes that if Nightingale wills it, those vines can kill him in seconds.

However, he is still alive. His right arm is only slightly wounded. Then he looks back at his patient and finally understands what is happening.

Nightingale never thought about hurting him.

This white devil summoned these vines.

Only to protect herself.

Yes, she made a huge cage with these vines. While protecting herself, she is also isolating herself from the world.

In that darkness that cannot be pierced by light. And, more importantly, by him.

Lin Yin clenches his teeth when he sees more vines growing around her.

He knows this is like Nightingale's inner mind. If it gets completely sealed off, he won't get a second chance.

No. If he fails, he won't get a second chance, and neither will Nightingale. He heard what Shining and Nearl said. He knows Shining doesn't want Nightingale to suffer anymore because of her medication and nightmares, so if he fails, Shining will personally end Nightingale's life.

(She really is a f**king devil! She is willing to kill her to end her suffering! How devils think really cannot be compared with how normal people think!) 

(But how do normal people think, really?)

(It is...)

Lin Yie takes a deep breath and suddenly puts his hand through the gap between vines, which is getting smaller and smaller.

(... not important now...)

...

"Shining is this what you wanted to see?!" Nearl shouts, "What's the point behind what you did tonight?! Are you really going to watch her die?!"

Shining looks upset.

It is not that she regrets what she did. It is just that she never expected Nightingale to react so drastically. 

In the past, Nightingale never reacted this much whenever she took the same medication, let alone endangering others. 

Although the threat Nightingale poses now is tolerable for everyone else, Lin Yie is just an ordinary person. He can't resist Nightingale's power.

But if she gives up now and lets Nearl take control of the situation, tonight's attempt would be wasted, and future attempts will be nigh impossible.

And she really doesn't want to see Nightingale suffer any longer.

(Then... there is only one choice left.)

Shining sighs, "Lin Yie. Just leave the rest to me."

(So it came to this, huh).