Ch 57: White Devil's Protection

Lin Yie looks at the woman.

She has short, silver-white hair, and she is wearing a black jacket. She has a submachine gun on her left shoulder, and her right hand is holding a detonator. She is looking at Lin Yie with her blood-red eyes.

Lin Yie sees the horns in her hair.

(...Another Sarkaz. Is my life full of devils!!)

Lin Yie has no idea that there are so many devils in this world. Or perhaps, he shares a special fate with the devils. He is taking care of devils, protected by devils, and attacked by devils. 

(Can there be an angel to cleanse my soul? And save me!) Lin Yie laments in his heart. The woman says, 

"Are you from Rhodes Island? An organization of the Infected that stands against the Infected themselves."

"...Who are you?" he struggles to ask her.

"Just another Infected." She says lightly, "Call me W, but it is too late for you to know that now. You gonna die anyway." She throws a bomb at Lin Yie, "Goodbye."

Lin Yie tries to dodge, but his leg is still trapped underneath the debris. He can't move.

(...So this how I die...?)

Suddenly, a woman jumps up from the floor below and hits the bomb away with her sword.

*Boom!*

The bomb explodes, but fortunately, nobody is hurt by the explosion. 

Lin Yie recognizes the newcomer and his saviour. She is the captain of a reserve group, and her name is Yato if he remembers correctly. She is one of the operators who stayed behind.

 She is one of the operators who stayed behind

Lin Yie is sigh in relief. Look like he lives for another day.

"Are you alright?" Yato asks him, not turning her head away from the enemy. 

Lin Yie smiles bitterly, "Barely. At least, I am still alive, but I am not sure about Nightingale and Ifrit."

"Sarkaz's don't die easily. They should be alright." Yato points her sword at W, "I hope you can bring them away as soon as possible."

She continues, "Based on my experience, I don't think I can defeat this person. She is too dangerous. However, I can buy you some time. The Lungmen Guard Department's guards are almost here. Just bring Nightingale and Ifrit, and leave." Yato slices the rock on Lin Yie's leg.

Lin Yie barely manages to stand up by leaning against the wall, "What do these people want?"

Yato is facing W again. She whispers, "They are looking for someone."

Lin Yie pauses, "But didn't Rangers and Melantha leave with her?"

"That's what it looks like on the surface," Yato says, 

"But what happened can only mean the Lungmen Guard Department lied to us."

"...Why? Aren't they on our side?"

"Yes, but it didn't stop them from lying to us," Yato says slowly, 

"The car we are escorting is probably empty. The Lungment Guard Department knows their 'cargo' is targeted by someone. If they carried out the original plan, something bad would have happened, so they asked another group to transport the 'cargo' when we left. Still, Lungmen only managed to deceive us. Am I right. Miss W?"

Lin Yie has nothing to say. He never expected this would happen. But then, he recalls the guard who had trouble walking.

"That person was moving cargo here!" Lin Yie says finally understand what is happening, "She should still be in this building!"

W doesn't say anything. When Yato and Lin Yie finish talking, she says, "I have to say you are not as stupid as I thought. If we knew the plan earlier, you would have suffered a worse fate than this."

"And who said we are stealing her?" W says, "We are here to execute a traitor."

W checks her radio and says, "We finished our mission. Now, you can die together."

Yato rushes towards W and shouts, "Go now!"

Lin Yie clenches his teeth and goes to Ifrit. She still out. He moves the rock on Ifrit. His body is still in pain but she need help and she is his responsibility.

He pulls Ifrit up, but it is very hard for him to do something this simple. He is wounded all over his body, and his clothes are already soaked with his blood, but he has to endure the pain. Ifrit needs him. Nightingale needs him. They both need him.

Suddenly, his body radiates a green light.

The pain subsides like waves backing away from the shores. In the green light, his wounds are closing at a visible rate. 

(Is that? )

Lin Yie turns around to see Nightingale behind him. She is leaning against the wall with one hand and clutching her staff with another. He runs towards her and sees an empty syringe near her feet.

Lin Yie is stunned.

"Nig-!"

He tries to say something, but there is another explosion happen before he can say anything.

Nightingale raises her staff and recites an incantation. A white shield appears behind Lin Yie and blocks the attack.