Chapter 1

It was May of 1864. Alexandra Williams was laying in a hospital bed. A Scarlet fever epidemic was going around her village and both her and her mother had caught it. She had been in the hospital for two weeks, having getting it first. Her mother got it only a few days after. Alexandra was pretty much on the verge of death. And she was pretty certain she was going to die.

It was sometime during the middle of the night, when Dr. Carlisle Cullen walked into her room. He looked at the young, very sickly 15 year old girl that was laying in the bed. He honestly felt sympathy for the girl. He had just declared her mother dead and he was fairly certain he was going to have do the same for her. He felt bad that she had caught this disease at such a young age. There wasn't much more he could do to help her. It was just a matter of time before she succumbed to the disease. There was one way he could save her. But he didn't know if he could. He had never done it before and he wasn't sure if he could do with it without killing her. He didn't know what to do. If he did nothing, she definitely would die. But if he did something, he could possibly kill her himself. There was a better chance of her surviving if he saved her. Dangerous as it was, Carlisle had grown attached to Alexandra. Her and her mother were the first patients he checked on when he came in for his shift. Despite being very ill, he thought that Alexandra looked beautiful. She actually looked like what he would imagine his own daughter would like. She had blonde hair similar to his. And blue eyes like he had.

Carlisle made up his mind. He went over Alexandra. He didn't know what to expect once he turned her, so he decided to bring her back to his home and change her there. He looked out the hallway to make sure there was no one around. He was grateful it was the night shift. He wouldn't be able to get away with this during the day. He walked back into the room and picked the girl up. Alexandra had no idea what was going on, but she was to weak and too ill to question what was happening. Carlisle carried her out a side door and vampire sped to his home. He brought her to a room and laid her on a table. He knelt down, closer to her level.

"I'm sorry." He whispered in her ear. He then moved her hair away from her neck and bit her, sinking his teeth into her neck. Alexandra started screaming, feeling something in her neck. A minute went by. Carlisle knew if he didn't stop, he would kill her. After a few more seconds, he finally pulled away. He sat with her and held her hand during her transformation. Every once in while saying he was sorry. Alexandra was screaming. She was in excruciating pain. She felt like her entire body was on fire. She kept screaming that she wanted to die. She thought she was dying.

Three days had passed. Alexandra had stopped screaming. She didn't feel like she was on fire anymore. Carlisle walked into the room. He could tell that transition was pretty much over now.

Alexandra's eyes fluttered open and she looked around. She had no idea where she was. She also felt different. Like her eyesight was better. She could see so clearly that she could read the titles of books that were on a bookshelf across the room, as if she was standing in front of it.

"Alexandra." Carlisle said. Alexandra looked around and saw Dr. Cullen standing to the side of the table.

"Dr. Cullen?" She asked. "Where am I?"

"You're in my home." Carlisle replied.

"Am I? Am I dead?" Alexandra asked.

"No." Carlisle said. "Not necessarily."

"But I was extremely sick." Alexandra said. "I thought I died."

"Let me explain." Carlisle said. He motioned to the couch for them to sit. Alexandra went over to the couch and sat down. Carlisle came over and sat down next to her. "I'm a vampire." He said. "And so are you."