chapter forty nine

It was a strange atmosphere back at the burrow. Molly welcomed me with open arms the night we travelled back after Dumbledore's death; I had missed her motherly embrace, but I couldn't help but feel a fraud surrounded by the family I had left behind. They burrow had been rebuilt, however this time I had no bed of my own and so Molly forced Ron to sleep on the sofa whilst I slept in his bed.

It had only been a couple of days, but I hadn't slept at all. I knew exactly what would happen the second I slipped into a dream and I wanted to avoid it for as long as possible.

Draco was all I could think about, my mind was jumping to a hundred different conclusions about his safety or his whereabouts. Ron had told me that it was in fact Snape who killed Dumbledore, which only made me worry more as I knew he had failed the dark lord.

I'd been skipping meals and lying in bed on my own since we had arrived back, not wanting to face anyone or talk at all. I felt slightly embarrassed as I knew everyone would think I was pathetic for being so upset over someone who left me.

There was a soft knock at the door as I was laying under the covers and I quickly jumped up. My eyebrows furrowed as Remus entered and gave me a soft smile.

"Afternoon, Amelia." Remus greeted me, slowly wandering over to the foot of my bed and sitting down as I didn't bother replying. There was a small awkward silence as I could tell he was pondering on what to say next. "I'm glad to see you safe... we all are."

I nodded, biting my lip as I was silently begging him to leave.

"Look – Amelia, I'm so sorry about last year." Remus turned to me and my eyes widened. "We knew how close you were to Draco, if he found out you had a muggle mother then Merlin knows- "

"It's fine, Remus." I muttered, not wanting to talk about it.

"He was my best friend." Remus smiled lightly but my jaw tightened.

"I just would have liked to know him." I whispered as he looked at me with a guilty expression on his face.

"Have you read his letters?" He questioned me but I shook my head.

"I read the first, but I can't bring myself to continue." I sighed and he nodded.

"He talks of your mother a lot in them, it'll be nice for you to learn more of her. Padfoot was always fawning over muggle women." He joked causing me to smile slightly. "Your mother is an extraordinary woman."

"Is?" I raised my eyebrows causing him to give a look of regret, as if he didn't mean to say that. "What do you mean?"

I could tell he was scanning his mind for a lie to tell, but I wasn't going to allow him to brush over the truth once again.

"Remus, you can't do this to me again." I furrowed my eyebrows. "I thought she was dead?"

"Your mother, she- "He began but stopped mid-sentence. "I'm only telling you this because you are safe now, and far away from Malfoy Manor." I nodded. "Your mother knew all about the order, she knew of wizardry – everything. She knew you'd be a witch and she knew the dark lord was taking over. When you were born, everything changed. Everybody started to lose hope as more lives were being lost. Sirius was distraught, he wanted to protect your mother more than anything. And so, only a few nights before the death of the Potter's, he obliviated your mother. She had no idea about you, or Sirius, or the wizarding world at all."

I was so taken a back and speechless, my mouth was agape as I stared at Remus, taking in all this new information.

"Do you know where she is?" I muttered to which he nodded in response.

"I can't tell you where she is yet, Amelia. She is still in danger if the death eaters find her." Remus answered honestly. I bit my lip, attempting to hold the tears in at all this new information.

I had a mother and she was alive, but she had no idea I even existed.

"Is there anything else I need to know? Anymore secrets?" I grumbled but Remus shook his head.

"If you have any more questions about Sirius, or your mother, I can answer them for you." Remus replied before standing to his feet. He gave me a small nod before exiting my room.

My bottom lip quivered as I couldn't hold my sobs back any longer. It felt like all I did these days was sleep and cry. My heart hurt. I yearned for Draco's touch; he was the only thing that made me feel safe.

I could barely think of my parents as if I did for too long it somehow made me feel even worse. So many gaps to fill as I didn't know either of them at all. I glanced over at the spot where Remus sat moments ago and noticed something small and white sat on the bed.

I reached over and upon picking it up I noticed it was a photograph. My throat went dry and goosebumps were sent shooting down my body as I noticed who it was.

Sirius looked much younger than how I recognized him; his face shaven. His arms were wrapped around a woman with long black curly hair, similar to mine and I instantly realized who it was. In her arms was a small baby wrapped in a knitted blanked. I sobbed through a smile, a mix of emotions running through me as I realized just who this family was.

I on my back, breathing heavily as I brought the picture up to my chest were my heart lay and held it tight. Although this hurt me ridiculously, as I would never experience what was happening in this picture ever again, I felt somewhat happy.

My eyes drifted closed as I fell asleep for the first time in days.

My dreams started off nice, I imagined myself young, growing up with my real parents. Having family dinners, opening Christmas presents, being sent off to Hogwarts for the first time with them waving me goodbye. But as usual, these pleasant dreams didn't last for long.

Sirius' death began replaying in my mind until I could barely take it anymore. I watched him disappear over and over, until I heard a sinister laugh from behind me.

I turned around and Voldemort was stood directly in front of me. His wand pointed foreword.

"Pathetic." He spat forewords and I heard a whimper from behind me, Draco. I stood out of the way as Voldemort walked towards him. "I'd say I expected better from you Draco, but I didn't."

"Please- "Draco begged as he fell to the floor.

"Avada Kedavra!" Voldemort cursed, Draco instantly falling to the floor lifelessly.

"Draco!" I screamed and sobbed, until I was awoken with my shoulders being shaken.

"Amelia, what's wrong?" Ron asked, panicked. I opened my mouth to speak but only sobs could come out. Ron sat beside me on the bed and half-heartedly wrapped his arms around me as I continued to cry.

"I'm sorry." I muttered.

"Don't apologize," Ron mumbled back. "Look, I'll go grab a blanket and sleep on the floor."

"You don't have to- "I tried to argue but he cut me off.

"It's okay." He smiled. Ron came back a few minutes later and made himself comfortable on the floor.

"He'd be so disappointed in me." I muttered, thoughtlessly looking up at the ceiling.

"Who?" Ron quizzed me as I turned to him.

"Sirius."

"Don't be stupid, Amelia." Ron responded. "He was desperate to meet you, even after Harry told him everything about you."

I sighed in response as it went silent for a few moments.

"I'm sorry for being a prat, Ron." I mumbled as we looked at one another.

"I'm sorry too."