Chapter 20: Alice

Alix and I sit with our children in her parlor room. Little Olga Nikolaevna is so precious, I hope to have a daughter as well one day but now it seems out of the question. I sit as I look out the cold window keeping that company of Alix. "I can not believe what she has done!" Alix rambles in anger. I tune her out, George had promised that he only loves me, that he could not spend the rest of his life with anyone else.... But it seems he has lost his interest.

Since he saved my life, I will pay him back, no matter how bitter I am. Although all of his promises were lies. I walk over to my son as he wakes up from his nap. I gently take him into my arms, retracing back to the window. I notice Katherine in the gardens. I really needed her. She always made me feel better when we were little, always having some good advice. I felt that I was at quarrel with a lot of people so it is time to mend these relationships back together.

I debated about going or not. It was cold outside and I didn't want my little Nicholas exposed but I could trust Alix with him, she knew of his condition. She did research when I told her about it, her future son could possibly get it as well. "I am going to speak with Katherine, can you watch my little Nicholas?" I asked her. "Of course cousin,"she agreed. I placed him back into his crib as he smiled at me.

My heart fluttered, how can he be so perfect? "Mama is going to be right back little one," I lightly tapped his nose as he giggled. "I will be right back." I told Sunny before leaving with my winter coat. I discretely made my way to the outside, feeling relaxed when I did not run into any of them. I walked to the bench that Katherine was at, she seemed lost in her own world, not noticing that I sat down next to her.

"Katherine," I said timidly. "What do you need Alice?"she snapped. "Why are you so angry at me?" I asked her. "You exactly know why! I had to find out about your elopement from Aunt Victoria!" She yelled out. I was numb, her yelling had no effect on me as it usually would. I have a heart broken in such small pieces it cannot be repaired.

"Katherine, I wrote to you every week, I even asked you if you wanted to be the godmother of my son and you never replied. I took that as a no and asked Alix instead. I still wrote to you after that."I explained to her. "I wrote to you about my elopement, my pregnancy, my trip to Denmark, yet you have never written back."

"God-mother?"she muttered under her breath. "I never received any mail from you."
I gave her a confused glance, "How is it possible that all of my letters that I wrote to you were never delivered or sent back to me?"

"I-I do not know."she stuttered. "Well Katherine I came here to make amends. I have missed you a lot and I am sorry that you felt forgotten but I can't control if you got the mail or not. I know for a fact that I wrote to you so I am sorry but I can do nothing about your bitterness towards me." I said before getting up to leave. I hugged myself, trying to keep myself warm.

"Alice wait!"I heard Katherine's voice behind me. I turned around as she stood in front of me, "I-I believe, I know you well enough to be sure that you have definitely wrote to me even if I have never received the letters."she stated. "I missed you a lot,"I confessed. "Me too"she said in a whisper. I gave her hug, "It seems that everyone is at disagreement with one another." I commented as we pulled away. "You are right at that my dear cousin," Katherine sighed.

"I also want to tell you that, this morning Nicky and I walked in on Scarlett and George in the same room. They were both fully clothed but that is all I know, I just thought to tell you." She muttered. "Thank you Katherine," I appreciated her honesty, even if it did crush every cell in my body. "Katherine, I want to tell you that my son, he is sick." I confessed. "Sick?"she repeated. "It's a secret, you must not tell anyone. Only Alix and now you know." I emphasized. "Okay,"she uttered. I took a deep breath, "He has hemophilia." Katherine stayed silent at my confession, "Alice I-,"
"No need, I just wanted to tell you." I quickly spoke. Silence washed between us as the wind roared and snowflakes quickly fell from the cold grey sky.

"I am quite cold, do you want to go back inside?" I suggested changing the subject. "You go ahead, I will catch up with you." She reassured. "Okay," I nodded as I ran to the inside of the palace. I made my way back to Sunny's parlor. I walked down the palace halls, losing myself into my own world. Baby Nicholas and I could move into a small manor and live our lives there. He could still see his father and I could be out of George's way, so he can love Scarlett.

I imagined myself gardening while Nicholas plays outside with his toys. Maybe I will even consider getting a dog. A smile appeared on my face after thinking of the future I could have with my son. "Alice!" I froze, my blood turned cold, my smile disappeared, I felt pain, heavy pain as I turned to face his way, but I did not dare to look at his face. He walked up closer to me but I backed away at each step, not wanting him to get close to me.

"Alice you have to believe me -,"

"I remember the day you saved my life and I will always be thankful for that. I awaited the moment to repay you but I guess that this is that moment. Since our ceremony was private not a lot of people know of our marriage. You can quietly disown me as a wife and live with Scarlett instead, all I wish is for you to at least take some sort of interest in our son."I explained to him.

"No my love you don't understand. I only wish to be with you, I only will ever love you. I can promise you that you are the only one for me, my dear Alice." George expressed as I covered my ears, "Stop, stop, stop! Stop telling me lies, stop giving me empty promises!" I yelled out with tears streaming down my face. Hurt was all I felt. I felt like collapsing, disappearing. "Alice please-," he was about to touch me but I stepped away, "Do not touch me!" I cried out, eventually running away from him.

I entered the closest room and collapsed onto the ground with my back against the door. I was miserable, I was in so much pain I didn't know what to do, so I sobbed, I sobbed my heart out because the man that I thought was the love of my life had lied and found another.