Chapter 20

Rowan's POV

Knowing I have to go back to school tomorrow, I lay in our bed, trying not to move. I'm restless, not wanting to leave Sophia for a single second. If I left, her memories would destroy her.

Making the decision to ask Sophia about school when she wakes up, I try to get some extra sleep in.

Only moments later, Sophia stirs, looking up at me with the most stunning hazel eyes. Her eyes that have seen such horrors, but are still shining.

"Good morning, kitten," I say in my raspy morning voice. I move to get up to get ready for the pack breakfast, but Sophia latches herself to me.

"More cuddles, please?" She asks with early morning puppy dog eyes. I can't get up now especially since she asked so nicely.

"Only for a few more minutes, we have a pack breakfast to attend," I inform, hoping to start introducing her to the pack now that she knows about werewolves.

She hums tiredly, before snuggling further into my chest, planning on cuddling for a few more minutes.

A few minutes turns into thirty, and we are now scrambling to get ready. We brush our teeth side by side, me making funny faces to make her laugh.

It's amazing how she can laugh despite the awful things she has been through and witnessed.

Rushing down to the dining room that hosts a large table filled with people, everyone stands to greet their Alpha and Luna. "You may be seated." I pull Sophia closer to me, trying to comfort her. I can tell the lingering stares are making her uncomfortable, so I rub her back softly, hoping my touch calms her down.

I lead Sophia to the head of the table, and gesture towards the seat next to mine. She sits while wringing her hands nervously, probably not liking the attention that is on her. "You may eat," I say to all the higher up pack members who joined us for breakfast.

The silent room soon becomes lively, full of chatter and laughing. The excitement in the air about me having found my mate is clear.

Sophia stays in her seat, not grabbing any food. I face her, grabbing her tangled hands. "Are you okay? Is this too much for you?"

She sends me a small, reassuring smile, before saying, "It's okay, I'm just not used to this many people. Up until now, I've only been around a handful of your pack. It's just a lot to take in."

I nod, understanding where she is coming from. "Do you want to eat in my room?" I ask softly, giving her the option to leave.

"No, I'll be okay. I have to start meeting the pack at some point." She gives me a grateful smile, before filling her plate up with waffles and strawberries. "Can you pour the syrup for me, my parents always did it," She asks bashfully, seemingly embarrassed.

"Of course I can, love. Anything you ask, I will do."

After pouring the syrup onto the waffles, stopping when she says so, I dig into my hearty breakfast. It is full of meat and fruit, including plenty of healthy proteins to be the strong Alpha I need to be for my pack.

Sophia answers questions by herself when asked by pack members, and I beam at her everytime she speaks to someone she doesn't know. It is a big step for her to be talking to strangers, and I'm surprised she is able to do it this soon.

With adjusting to her new life, I thought we may need to move slowly with her, but she seems to be rising up to the challenge and facing it head on.

Finishing breakfast, I take her back up to our room for a much needed break. "Sorry there were so many questions, love. They were just curious to get to know the new Luna."

"It's perfectly fine. They were all really nice." I nod, agreeing that my pack is nice. I picked my high ranking officials carefully, making sure they were the right fit for the job. That includes being diplomatic and kind.

Sophia flops onto the bed, sighing. "I'm stuffed," she says as she pats her slightly bloated stomach.

"Me too," I hum, sitting down next to her. "Sophia, we need to talk about something."

She turns to me, a nervous look in her eyes. "Is everything okay?"

I nod, reassuring her. "Everything is okay, but there is one problem. I'm still in school, but I've been taking time off to spend with you. I now have to go back to finish the year, and I can't leave you for any extended period of time. This means, if you agree to it, you would go to school with me."

"What is real school like? I've only ever done homeschooling." She plays with her fingernails, a nervous habit of hers.

"It wouldn't be too bad, I would be by you everywhere you go. We'd have all the same classes and be locker buddies. There are a lot of people there, which may be an issue, but this would be a new experience for you and it may help you out in the long run." I take her hand in mine, trying to soothe her nerves. I could move to online school, but I know this is a step Sophia needs to take.

I can tell she is still slightly confused on everything I'm talking about, so I'm shocked when she says, "As long as you'll be by my side, I will go to school."