Chapter 22

Rowan's POV

Slightly hurt that Sophia didn't want me around her, I carry on towards my usual table. I meet up with my Beta, Nathaniel, and Gamma, Andrea.

"Where's our Luna?" Andrea asks, concern clear in her question.

"She wanted to go to the bathroom by herself, so I let her." I shrug not seeing the problem with it, still slightly peeved at Sophia's decision.

"You left our Luna, your mate, alone? Why didn't you send one of us with her?" Nathaniel asks disbelievingly.

I shrug again. "She wanted to be independent."

"You know how mean some of the humans can be, why did you do that?" Andrea scolds.

Remembering the disrespectful girl in our first period, worry immediately runs through my veins. Of course, I was worried before, but the overwhelming feeling of being unwanted trumped that.

Rushing out of the cafeteria, I go the direction of the closest bathroom. Maybe the reason she is taking so long is the fact that she got lost. Hopefully someone nice helped her find it.

That idea is ruined when I smell blood. My mate's blood. Running at full speed, not caring who sees, I finally reach the bathroom. The pain in my heart that I feel when I see my mate on the dirty bathroom floor, bleeding from her head, is like no other. She is surrounded by broken shards of a mirror, looking like a scene in a horror movie. I feel an awful ache in my chest, knowing I let my feelings get in the way of protecting the most important person to me.

I pick her up gently, her dazed eyes opening slightly, before closing again. "Stay with me, kitten."

Rushing home to the pack hospital, I mind link Doctor Maxine to meet us in the usual room. There shouldn't be a usual room, but we've been there far too often.

Nathaniel drives the car, Andrea in the passenger seat, while I'm in the back seat, holding my limp mate in my arms. I will forever bear the guilt of not protecting her well enough, letting my emotions blind me.

All I have to do is sniff my lovely mate's scent to know who hurt her. Her scent is mixed with the disgusting smell of fake tanner. It must've been that girl from our first period, Emily.

I should've protected her from that vile human. Mind linking the principal of the school, I inform him of Emily's actions. He promises to punish her accordingly, but wishing he could do more for hurting his Luna.

Satisfied, I notice we are pulling into the pack hospitals parking area, and Doctor Maxine is rushing to our car.

Carrying Sophia into the hospital and down the familiar path to her room, Doctor Maxine looks her over the best she can while walking.

I set my mate's light body on the bed, and let Maxine do her job. I'm allowed to stay in the room, finally having enough control over my emotions to not lash out at anyone who touches her.

I wish I could hurt anyone who hurts my precious mate, but the human who did this falls under human rule, so I have no power to decide the punishment. I just hope that the humans would rule something painful for her.

Breaking out of my devilish thoughts, I look to Doctor Maxine who seems almost done cleaning the fresh wound on Sophia's forehead. "Will she be okay?" I ask softly, not wanting to disturb her work.

"I honestly don't know," Doctor Maxine responds. Sensing my angry aura, she quickly continues. "The wound isn't bad, just a few minor cuts, but Luna had a concussion that never got the chance to heal before this happened. The collision with the mirror probably jarred her already injured brain, meaning the side effects could be catastrophic. Her brain may swell rapidly, meaning we need to get her an MRI stat. We just have to hope she will be okay if she wakes up."

If? All because of one tiny mistake, I may lose my mate. I will forever blame myself for this, because it was my fault. If I had just been there, none of this wouldn't have happened.

Now I'm lost, and I don't think I will find my way back home without her. She is my home.