What Makes You Happy

Harry POV

I sat on my bed with my legs brought up to support my sketchbook as I sketched away. Today was my last full day with Brielle, at least the last day that she'd love me whether she's choosing to or not. As bitter as I felt I was happy, today was a bumpy ride at times but I spent it with her. She even stood up for all of us today, and tomorrow we were sadly going to make her take back every nice thing she said about us today, ever in fact. Tomorrow we were going to live up to the name everyone in Auradon wanted us to live up to it seemed, except for Ben and Brielle.

I just wish I had more time with her, one more date, one more movie night, one more kiss. It was all so sweet, of course the feeling had to be fleeting. I don't get to have nice things for long, I just don't deserve them apparently. I guess I don't deserve someone as lovely as Brielle.

Mal told us that tomorrow we would give them the cookies on the way to the actual event but tell them to have it later just so they for sure had it. She was upset about it too because unlike Brielle and I, she and Ben ended up staying separated most of the day which she shared with me that she regrets.

I sketched Brielle again, of course, however, I didn't do anything special which is what made it special. It was from the shoulders up. I didn't put a crown on her, I didn't do her hair a certain way, she wasn't wearing makeup, hell she wasn't even wearing a top not that that mattered seeing as I wasn't sketching that far for it to matter, and yet it did matter. She was in her most pure and natural form, that's what made it special. I always like sketching things in a more pure form, and when it comes to humans that means less is more. As I sketched her, I realized something.

What if she was smart enough to never eat the cookie we give her tomorrow? I mean I'm sure she caught onto the spell and consciously took the effects off of herself in the enchanted lake that one time where she scared the living daylights out of me, so what if she's planned around Mal's plan if she's caught on that much?

Oh, I hope you're prepared because if you are then maybe today wasn't the last day we have together.

I've never had a thought bring so much hope in my life, however as Mal said it. It would be unnecessarily cruel for her to continue to feel things for me like that if the plan worked. And just like that, the hope was shot down so cruelly and swiftly. There was no way around this was there? In the end, all I'd have of hers is the sketches of her in my own sketchbook and her words and her actions in my memory, maybe I'd feel better if she had something of mine too? Gods, this is just the absolute worst of the worst.

No way around it, no way to change the tides. I was spent, ready to call it a night and hopefully not have another nightmare, maybe I can get one really good dream. One with Brielle in it maybe, something just as lovely as she is. I put my sketchbook to the side and laid down, closing my eyes. A few seconds passed before the words of a sweet voice echoed in my mind,

"... you deserve whatever makes you happy"

My eyes shot open, it was so vivid it was like she was really there for a second, of course she wasn't truly there but it would've been nice. But she and her words had given me an idea, don't get too excited its not some magical way to avoid the occurrences of tomorrow, but it was something to maybe get her to remember me by, the good version of me at least. Something to maybe just let her know that I still meant every word, every action, everything. Even if the potion made her hate me at least she might know that I meant it, it wasn't acting on my end at least. There are three possibilities after all, she's still under the potion's effects somehow, she isn't under the potion's effects anymore and is acting like she is and everything she's done and said has been a ploy, or she's not under the potion anymore and she isn't acting. The worst part is I hate two of those options and no matter what she definitely would be uninterested tomorrow, and that feeling just really really sucks.

I went to my bedside table and quietly opened it, taking out a small wooden box I had brought with me. This little box actually means a lot, inside is all I really have left of my ma. It was a bunch of trinkets and such, some pieces of jewelry including her engagement ring, a few spare bracelets and necklaces, and one necklace in particular that I was looking for. I pulled out the elegant piece, it was a Celtic knot with diamonds on each piece of the knot and a single ruby in the middle. I pulled it out of the box by the chain and took the pendant piece in my fingers and looked at it. My ma used to wear this thing all the time, she told me the Celtic knot represented eternity whether it be through loyalty, friendship, love, etc etc. and I've always loved that. This necklace means a lot to me, now I'm just hoping she sees that even though the effects of the potion. I put the box away and put the necklace on top of it in my bedside table drawer. I'll bring that with me tomorrow and give it to her when it feels right, which made me feel more at ease with the situation and let me lay down and close my eyes, eventually drifting off, wishing for a kinder dream than the one from the other night.

"Well she must've been an amazing woman because even though she's not here now I will say, she raised a very lovely and well-mannered son that has honestly surprised me due to how civilized he is being straight from the Isle"

"So the only reason you were quiet and timid was that you were worried that I was mad at you?"

"I don't really care about anyone else's opinion here lassie, how ya see me actually matters ta me"

"Yer telling me that ya can't swim and ya were just gonna pull that stunt out 'ere alone?! Ye could easily drown out 'ere all by yerself, ya know that right? That's it, I'm not lettin' ya out of my sight"

"But you saved me"

"Yeh, what else was I supposed ta do? Watch ya drown in front of my very eyes?"

"That's what a villain would've done"

"I love ya Bri, did I mention that?"

"I think the feeling is very, very mutual"

"And... did you mean it when you said I felt like home to you?"

"Yeh I did, ya really do have a very comforting aura to ya. Feels like home"

"I only draw things I find nice ta look at or beautiful, seeing as ya fit both of those criteria why wouldn't I sketch ya? And attempt ta do yer natural beauty justice at that"

"Har, I have no idea what to say"

"Ye don't have ta say anything darling"

"Ye make me so happy bonnie lass"

"You make me so happy too Har"

"... you deserve whatever makes you happy"

A/N

Hiya! We're almost there ahhhhh I'm excited :D I hope you all like how this is being laid out, the ending is something I've rewritten many times, I just wanna get it right XD Remember to stay hydrated and to be kind ot yourself today :D

-Brooke