Chapter 27

Sophia's POV

I freeze, the words Rowan said ringing in my brain.

They are back.

The rogues, who killed my parents, are back for me. They tore them apart, limb by limb, and now, they are back, terrorizing an innocent pack, all because of me.

Rowan squeezes me tightly, still in the same position we were in when she first walked in here. The hug calms me down slightly, but not enough to keep the memories from invading my mind.

My mom's tearfilled eyes looking back at me, their concern to make sure I was okay, the high pitched scream that was the last sound my mom made. Everything floods my mind at once, making pain erupt all throughout my brain.

Tears cascade down my cheeks rapidly as Rowan pulls away. She wipes my tears away softly with her thumb, before kissing me lightly on my forehead. Whispering into my hair, she says, "It's going to be okay. I won't let them take you from me. I will protect you."

I nod numbly, her talking thankfully distracting me from my horrid thoughts.

We stay standing, with her head resting atop mine. I decide to focus on my duty as the pack's Luna, asking, "What exactly happened?" My voice shakes but that is the only clue that I'm not okay.

She looks me in the eye, her gray eyes calming me down further. "Are you sure you want to know?"

"Yes. It is my duty as Luna to help protect the pack, and I can't do that if you don't inform me of the situation." I didn't mean to sound rude, I just feel overwhelmed by too many emotions to be able to correct myself.

Rowan doesn't seem to mind my attitude, she just lets me know what is going on. "They sent a note, written with one of our patrol members' blood. It was warning us that if we don't hand you over, they will start killing more pack members."

Taking in the information Rowan told me, I try to think of any way I will be able to save pack members without sacrificing myself.

"Hey, don't think too much about that now. Everything will be okay, I promise." Rowan grabs my hands and squeezes them lightly, reassuring me.

The problem is that she doesn't know if this will be okay. No one does.

"How about you show me the present you got me?" I can tell she is trying to distract me from my thoughts, and it's working.

I smile at her, excited to give it to her, before walking into the closet and taking out the gift.

Stepping back into the room, I notice she is now sitting on the bed, looking less tense than before. Handing her the gift, I mumble, "I hope you like it... it's nothing special."

She shakes her head as she says, "Anything coming from you is special."

Smiling, I gesture for her to open up the gift. She opens it carefully, not wanting to destroy the shiny silver wrapping paper. There is a pretty red ribbon tying the box closed, and she pulls it apart before fully removing the wrapping paper and opening the box.

She opens the necklace case, and her eyes widen. "It's beautiful," is all she says as her fingers trace my initial.

Happy she likes it, I inform, "I wanted a more permanent way to mark you, to let everyone know you are mine."

She takes the necklace out of the box, before handing it to me to put on her. She moves her brown hair to the side as I clip the necklace on for her. Turning to me, she promises, "I will never take this off."

Wanting to show my gratitude, I lean in. Our lips meet in a soft embrace, showing nothing but love and care. It's a slow and gentle kiss, our emotions being transferred to each other. The gratefulness and appreciation, the possessiveness and love.

Pulling away to breathe, I say wholeheartedly, "I'm so lucky to have you."