Chapter 29

Sophia's POV

Last night's meeting went well, although everyone knew that we had mated. They congratulated us with many intrusive questions, but I didn't mind. I was just too happy.

Rowan sent out a hunting party to track the rogues, and they found out it was only a small group working together. Not large enough to cause any real damage, or so we thought.

My mate and a few other strong warriors followed their scent to their base, and killed them swiftly. No longer having to worry about the rogues, Rowan and I are going out to ice cream to celebrate. The curfew is still in order, just to be safe, so we are going before it gets dark.

Many memories come back on the drive over there, wishing my parents were here to meet my wonderful mate, whom I love.

The date is tinged with sadness and nostalgia, missing my past life, but also looking forward to the one that is to come.

I get my signature birthday cake ice cream, while Rowan gets chocolate chip cookie dough. We enjoy our sweet treat, sitting outside at the picnic table Rowan sat at last time. "Remember how my parents kept giving you the evil eye?" I laugh, the memory coming back.

"Yes, I don't think they liked how I was staring at you hungrily," Rowan teases.

"Or how I stared right back," I point out, remembering how I got lost in her eyes and didn't look away.

Rowan nods, before the atmosphere turns to a somber one. "I just wish I got to meet them properly."

"They would have loved you, I promise. Underneath your intimidating exterior, is a loveable doggie." I smile at her, loving the way her face scrunches up when I describe her.

"I'm no loveable doggie, I'm the big bad wolf," she mumbles, grumbling under her breath.

"Sure you are," I entertain, loving how bashful she is about being so sweet.

Finishing our ice cream, we start heading back to the pack house because it's getting late.

However the thing we see next makes my heart stop.

In the middle of the road, a car is crashed, and multiple rogue wolves are fighting two injured werewolves. Rowan pulls the car over, before commanding, "Stay in the car!"

I listen to her, trusting her completely. She runs out of the car and shifts, her necklace staying on thanks to the pack member who fixed it up for us. Now it stays on, even when Rowan shifts.

My mate's gorgeous wolf attacks the rogues, but just a little too late. The rogues manage to kill the two members of our pack.

Rowan, in a blind rage, kills the remaining wolves faster than I could've ever imagined. Hopping out of the car, knowing there is no longer a threat, I search for any survivors.

I'm surprised to see an unharmed baby, sitting behind the passenger seat, in a car seat.

The baby has a miniscule amount of blood on her, and I reach out to comfort her sobbing form. Her pink onesie stained with red, the symbolism of those few drops of blood pushing a weight on my chest. Her parents are dead.

Just like mine are. Killed the same way. By rogues.

Rowan comes up behind me, taking a look at the crying baby in my arms. "I mind linked Nathaniel to clean up this mess and bring the baby's parents back to the pack to be buried."

I nod, almost feeling numb. The one thing I feel is protectiveness. I will not let anything hurt this innocent baby ever again.