chapter 51

KHALID

My dad didn't come home that day, but he arrived the day after, at first my mom had been quiet until I heard her voice which confirmed my suspicions. I tiptoed to their room and leaned on the door prepared to eavesdrop on their conversation.

"Who are you? Because you're not the person I know," Mom complained.

"Ruslana, I don't get you, what's going on? You just called me without explaining anything," My dad replied.

I opened the door slowly just, so I could watch them, dad was sitting while Mom was standing with her hands on her hips.

"Then what's this?" She threw the documents on his laps, he picked it up and his eyes widened in shock.

"How...how..."

"How did I get this? I was looking for a book in your study when I came across it now do you mind explaining?"

He looked up from the documents, "Ruslana, it's not what you think."

"Then it's what? Just tell me, I'm ready to listen, even if you deny it, I'll believe you," she said with hoarse voice and I knew she was trying so hard not to breakdown.

He went silent for some seconds before my mom talked, "I can't believe you're the person I married, so, our marriage was based on a lie, all this past years, you've been lying to me."

He rose, "No, Ruslana, it's just that..." He touched her hand, but she jerked away and stepped back.

"Just that what? Is your construction business not enough, why did you venture into something this devastating, why?" She yelled and I massaged my temples.

"I wanted something more for us, you had your job then and my business was at the brim, I wanted to give you a comfortable life, I..."

She cut in, "And do you think you achieved that? You should have told me when your business almost gone down the drain, why do something this bad?"

"I'm sorry, I know I broke your trust but I'm deeply sorry," he moved closer to her, but she stepped back.

"You think sorry would solve it? What if you get caught? What will become of me? What will become of this family?" This time she let the tears flow down freely and I knew what I feared had happened.

"I'm careful, I can't get caught."

She shook her head, "You think so, of all things why drugs? Just why? You shouldn't have done something this illegal and to top it all, you're a drug Baron, the one on the loose? The most wanted one? Do you think we're safe?"

He moved closer to her, but she stepped back the more, "I..."

She cut him off," Where do you carry out most of the activities?"

He swallowed his saliva before replying, "Cyprus."

She heaved, "You know what? It's either you end your drug dealings or you lose your family? I can't endanger my son's life with a drug baron, I wouldn't want him having a convict as a father and that's if you don't get executed," and with that she turned to leave.

"Ruslana, you can't..."

"I'm leaving with my son tomorrow, when you decide on what's best, you can meet us in Ukraine," then she headed towards the door, I couldn't hide, so, she saw me, she stood stupefied as shock was written all over her face, I glanced at my dad who also had the same expression.

"Did...did you hear everything?" She stuttered and I nodded.

"It isn't new to me, so, you don't have to worry yourself," I assured her, and she screwed up her brows.

"You know your dad is a drug Lord?"

I nodded, "Since I was fifteen."

Her eyes widened in horror and my mind travelled back to two years ago, I'd overheard his discussion with one of his distributors on the phone and I'd confirmed it when Abimbola's dad visited him the day after to discuss the matter. I decided to hide it from everyone but I couldn't keep it in for so long so, I told Kikiope.

"Pack your things, we'll be leaving for Ukraine tomorrow," and with that she stormed off leaving me and my dad gawking at each other.

He slumped on the chair and I dashed him one fierce look before leaving.

💢💢💢💢💢💢

"I just left your place now, where did you go?" She asked with lifted brows and I tried to force a smile which she noticed.

"Khalid, what's wrong?" She queried with worry etched in her voice.

"Nothing."

"Don't give me that, I know there's something wrong with you so spill!" She demanded and her voice made me chuckle.

"First, I'm in Ukraine."

Her pupils grew huge, " What! You didn't tell me you would spend the holiday there? Did your mom come home?"

I nodded, "It's not only the holiday, I don't know when we'll come back."

She slouched her shoulders before a knowing smile crept up her face, " What type of dry joke is that? Why won't you come back?"

I sighed, "My mom came home two days ago only for her to find out about my dad's secret."

She furrowed her brows," You mean your mom is now aware of the fact that your dad is the popular drug Lord?"

I bobbed my head, "Yeah, and she's been gloomy ever since."

"But how? How did she find out? What happened?"

Then I went on to narrate the whole ordeal to her, "And now my mom doesn't want to have anything doing with him again, she plans to file for an annulment soon."

"What!" She shrieked.

"So now you see I'm not joking that's why she decided we come back to Ukraine."

Her expression closed up, "So, you mean you're probably gone for good? You don't know if you'll come back to Nigeria again?"

I nodded ," Yeah."

She slumped her shoulders, "How is that possible? You're joking right?"

I shook my head while trying to hide my sadness.

"I'm not joking, the only miracle that can happen is for my dad to do her bid because Mom is adamant."

She heaved, "I still can't believe this, how do you expect me to take this? I'm still trying to wrap my brain around it," she voiced out with the sadness reflecting in her voice.

"Just breathe."

She glared at me, "You think I can just take it like something didn't happen, how do expect me to live without you? Khalid, we practically grew up together."

I ran my hand through my hair, " People come and leave..."

She snarled, "Don't give me that crap! How do expect me to live without you?"

I sighed, " You just have to take it."

Then I saw a lone tear escape her eyes. Is she really crying? Kikiope isn't someone to cry, the last time she cried was in primary school.

"Just when I started catching feelings," then she ended the call. My eyes widened at her latter statement, did she just say that?

I dialled her number again, but she didn't pick up, I tried it again, and she went offline. I called her main line, but she switched off her phone. I sighed in frustration. It's my dad's fault, everything is his fault. I closed my eyes with my heart filled with heaviness. Is this the end?

Who expected that?
Well, his dad isn't cheating...
What do you think about this chapter?
Remember to vote and comment your thoughts