chapter sixteen

s o p h i e   f o s t e r

when they arrived to the surprise destination sophie was appalled. the mall? keefe had taken her to the mall? she turned to face him in disgust. "aw don't look at me like that foster." she stuck her tongue out at him and crossed her arms.
"no. i'm not moving. you're going to have to drag me in by my hands and feet." sophie pouted. keefe raised his eyebrows and pushed open the car door with his foot.
"alright." he agreed. keefe got out of the car and slammed the door behind him. was he mad at her? for what? not wanting to go to the mall? she'd made it very clear that she wasn't that type of girl. grumbling, sophie unbuckled her seatbelt and turned around, looking behind the back seats, to see where keefe was going.
her eyes widened when she heard a click and a pair of hands grabbed her by the waist. they pulled her through the, now open, car door space. sophie shrieked as she got tossed over a big, and very muscular, shoulder. "put. me. down!"
"it didn't have to come to this foster." sophie pounded on his back as he carried her over to edaline's car. she heard the little click clacks of her heels hitting the pavement as edaline approached.
"edaline! help!" she cried. all sophie heard in response was a chuckle. "this isn't funny! i never agreed to go shopping! i'm being held against my will!"
"you said this was the only way you'd come in. and you agreed to come." keefe retorted. both were true. but still. she had to get down. hitting him wasn't going to work. her pathetic punches weren't doing much on his tough back. that's when she got an idea. "ow. did you just pinch m-ow! stop doing that!" he scolded. keefe swung her around before putting her down in front of the side entrance to the mall.
sophie straightened out her clothes and glared at keefe as he held open the door for her and edaline. "if you two don't mind i'm going to go explore. i've got some last minute shopping i need to do for sophie's birthday."
nooooo. sophie groaned. "birthday? i didn't hear anything about a birthday." keefe said, giving a pointed look at sophie. she turned to her foster mom with squinting eyes.
"maybe, i don't know. but maybe. just maybe. there was a reason for that." edaline gave her a sorry excuse for an apologetic look and turned to keefe.
"just so you know she has no plans." with a wink in his direction, edaline went on her way. oh she was going to regret that.
"no plans huh?" keefe quirked up an eyebrow.
sophie scratched the back of her neck and looked up. "i mean i have a dinner with my foster parents on monday and i think dex and his family are coming over. so that'll cover all the celebrating i really need."
keefe laughed and took her by the hand. he dragged her to a nearby store called glitter and stopped in front of a rack filled with- you guessed it- glitter clothes. she rolled her eyes and pointed to the hot pink frilly dress in the middle. "i'll admit it. you're funny. now let's go."
he shook his head and pulled out the dress she was pointing to. "self centered much? how do you know i wasn't browsing for myself?" keefe countered. "after all, i need something to wear to your birthday bash on tuesday."
"my wha-" sophie was interrupted by the song shake it off blasting in her back pocket. marella had really chosen the worst song for her ring tone. keeping an eye on keefe, she reached back to grab her phone. "hello?"
"SOPHIE ELIZABETH FOSTER! WHY AM I JUST HEARING ABOUT YOUR BIRTHDAY?! ESPECIALLY FROM HIM! IN AN INVITATION TO YOUR PARTY- THAT I DIDN'T PLAN!" marella screeched into the phone. keefe chuckled in her direction as he wandered over to the the party supplies.
sophie muted herself and let marella rant a little more so she could recover from the ringing in her ear. "keefe. did you send out invitations to a party i didn't agree to?"
"how'd you know?" keefe said with a smirk.
"SOPHIE? HELLO? ARE YOU EVEN THERE?" marella's voice echoed through the phone. sophie grumbled as she took herself off mute to deal with her friend.
"yes marella. i was just informed of it myself." she snapped looking directly at keefe. "what does the thing even say?" she had purposely planned her family gathering on monday so she could do whatever on her actual birthday on tuesday.
"before i read you anything. i need you to promise me that i get to plan it! not that hunky haired blonde bozo! his tacky invitations are enough to ruin it already." she grumbled.
"yes marella. you get to plan it." sophie lied through her teeth, there was no way she was having a party. she just needed to know what those invitations said.
"fanfuckingtastic! it's on a school night so everyone who's coming def won't be at school in the morning. it'll be the party of the year. the it party. i've got you covered girl." she almost dropped her phone when marella said the party was on a school night. her parents would kill her. "it's on tuesday. he sent it to the school's party account on instagram and they posted it. that'll make sure you have all the right-well wrong for you- people at your party. it has your address, starts at 9- at least he did something right..." marella mumbled. "dress casually and bring booz. such vulgar wording..."
sophie bored her eyes into keefe as he neared her. "so to be clear. i am hosting a party at my house, on a school night, on my actual birthday, with a bunch of people i don't like." he gave her a thumbs up and marella squealed into the phone.
"do you know what this means? we have to go shopping!"
"someone already beat you to it." keefe called into the phone as he grabbed it from sophie and hung up on marella. "no more talking to marella. i brought you here to hang out with me. and i get you all to myself for a few more hours." keefe wrapped his arms around her neck before scooping her up and carrying her to a dressing room.
"why do you keep carrying me everywhere? i can walk y'know."
"well i knew you'd never willingly agree to try on these amazing outfits i picked out." sophie looked to the mounds of clothes sitting on the futon and hanging up in her giant room. she shook her head and tried backing out of the room. keefe shoved her back in and closed the curtain.
"don't come back out until you're changed!"
and that's how the last few hours went. keefe tortured her through many more stores and their last stop was party city to get a few more supplies for the party being forced upon her. "keefe can we make this quick? it's like seven and you already bought me half the mall."
"yeah yeah. put that pack of red solo cups in the cart and we can go." sophie put in a pack of 12 cups in before keefe gave her a strange look and grabbed a pack of 240. "have you ever been to a party?"
"if you count the sofia the first party i went to in first grade then yeah. also don't you think 240 cups is a bit much? just because you talked me into not cancelling doesn't mean i'm going to have a rager. plus my parents won't like this. not one bit."
"i have a feeling edaline will be okay with it. your dad...not so much. after the yelling from earlier it's safe to say i won't be going anywhere near him for the next 20 years. but your mom will probably convince him."
"20 years?" sophie asked for clarification.
"yeah. in 20 years i'll have a bunch of mini keefe's to protect me from him." he said as if it was the most obvious thing to plan.
she checked her watch and clapped her hands together. "you might wanna get me home soon since your mini keefe's aren't exactly alive to protect you from him yet."
"crap you're right." he rushed to the cashier to checkout and carried all the bags out to the car, not letting sophie bring even one. sophie was lying about the time though. it was only 6 but grady was a good motivator when it came to keefe.

sorry for not updating in like forever! school just started so i'm trying to figure out how much i can update with my workload and everything! thanks for understanding :D