Little Black Dress

16th of November 2017

"Not too much?" I asked as I walked out of my friend Christsbel's bathroom in my vintage Prada little black dress that I found on Depop a couple of weeks ago.

"Babe you look great," she said with a glass of red wine in her hand, probably from the bottle of wine that our friend Danny had gotten her for her birthday, which is why we are going out clubbing tonight.

Christabel lives in a decent-sized flat in Chiswick, which she can afford as she is probably the definition of a trust fund baby, her mother coming from old English money and her dad being quite a successful lawyer back in Manchester but she also works really hard for her money at one of London's top accounting firms which she has been working at straight out of university.

"Perfect, because I'm not bloody changing," I laughed as I picked up my glass of white wine that was waiting for me on her kitchen bench, sitting myself down between our other two best friends Scarlett and Danh, Christsbel sharing the love seat with her partner Jack whom she had been together since 2012, meeting in a bar back home. Jack is a primary school teacher at Chiswick Primary, which is just around the corner from Christsbel's flat and is an around good bloke, always making sure people are happy and paying for the taxis and stuff like that.

"You should invite Harry out tonight," Scarlett said from beside me, her jet black hair pulled into a neat ponytail at the nape of her neck. Scarlett is the glue of our group, bringing us together when I moved schools after my dad passed away and as much as I hate to admit it, she's always the one organising the drinks or the catch-ups at her house in Soho which originally belonged to her grandparents before they moved back to the country, letting Scarlett and her girlfriend, Ella, who is coming later, live there for however ever long they need to.

"Yes! We all want to meet him so badly Anna," Christabel said with a bright smile on her face, Jack and Danh nodding in agreement.

I had left Harry at home for the night, well mainly I just said I was going out for a friends birthday and that I would be back later, not really giving him the option to come or not, which made me feel slightly guilty but I always stupidly assume having drinks at his semi-normal girlfriend's friends flat for her twenty-fourth birthday is probably beneath him, which is probably a harsh assumption but what's done is done.

"Are you sure Bel? Don't wanna step on your toes tonight by inviting him out," I said with an awkward smile on my face and she shook her head, her soft brown curls going haywire in Jack's face which made him laugh deeply from beside her.

"Don't be silly Anna! He is your boyfriend, my boyfriend is here and Ella is coming in a second and I am sure whatever human Danh decides to take home tonight because let's face it there is always one, will end up back here for kick ons or whatever," she said with an encouraging smile on her face and I sighed in defeat, knowing that I was going to have to call him.

"Alright, I'll go and call him," I said, trying to mask how excited I was for Harry to potentially come out with my school friends and me.

"Epic!" Danh exclaimed from beside me, nudging my waist as I stood up, his usual toothy grin plastered on his face, a glass of champagne in his hand. I slowly made my way to Christsbel's bedroom when reminded me of something straight out of the seventies, with an array of warm tones and green accents.

I sat on the end of her bed, unlocking my phone and calling Harry's number, staring at my bare feet while I waited for him to pick up the phone. If there is one thing that Harry is absolutely useless with, it's answering his phone which irritates me to no end but I suppose it comes with him being hopeless with communication and I am secretly hoping that it will slowly improve over time.