18.

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN.

              "MONDAY FIRST ― YOU HAD better save the fucking date, John Shelby!" Felicity burst through the doors of the youngest adult Shelby brother's home with a bang and a shout, not caring whether or not he had company. It wasn't as though any visitors would be

"Fuck off, Felicity!" Was the annoyed shout she heard in response from upstairs, causing a short laugh to escape from her lips as she tried again to achieve his attention.

The girl tutted loudly. "Considering this is your supposed future sister-in-law you're talking to. . ." she trailed off, knowing her volume was loud enough for the man to hear her words and the meaning behind them.

Sure enough, John soon emerged. . . although he did not look happy about it, with his trousers hastily pulled on and his normally-crisp white shirt unbuttoned and wrinkled as it was evident he had only just shrugged his arms through the sleeves. He met her at the bottom of the stairs with half-hearted vexation in his features ― as though he hadn't the heart to get irritated with the girl, much like always.

Felicity raised an eyebrow at the sight of his obvious dishevelment. "Where are the kids?"

"'Got a maid," he answered sheepishly, tugging on his sleeves before glancing up again to meet the girl's gaze. "What's happening on the first?"

"My fiancé's and my supposed wedding," Felicity exclaimed, rolling her eyes at the thought of it. She still hadn't the slightest idea how Tommy was going to pull off the entire debacle that consisted of outsmarting both John Woods and Billy Kimber, but she trusted him enough to do just that. This trust, however, would not prevent the worry from building up inside her chest and bringing with it an overwhelming sense of nausea that emerged from time to time, though.

John's eyes widened. "The first? That's soon, Ti."

"Yeah."

Too soon.

The man's eyes filled with the slightest hint of concern, as though he sensed that there was more to her than the apparent bravery that she was continuing to put on.

"Thirty  nine days and counting," she confirmed once more with a tentative attempt at a smile.

"Tommy's said he can sort it all out, though. Get back at your father or something before it all goes ahead." A poor attempt at reassuring her it would all be alright, but it was an attempt nonetheless.

Felicity nodded weakly. She had tried to push away the thought of her father as much as she possibly could in the past few weeks. . . instead choosing to focus on the other, more current events. "You had better start hoping your brother does have something up his sleeve," was all she said in reply. "Or y'know, you'll have to see me at family gatherings and all that crap."

"I'll try and hurry him, then."

"Please do."

John laughed but he was quick to usher her towards the door, clearly losing interest in the conversation. "I will," he confirmed. "Now please go, Felicity, oh my God."

Felicity rolled her eyes once again as she obliged. "Horny git."

"Get out!"

Stumbling out of the door, she turned back to the house to childishly poke her tongue out to the indignant Shelby brother, who had not managed to close the door fast enough in order to not see it. And so she left, laughing as his grumbles could be heard trailing behind.