Chapter Seven

Raia splashes cold water on her face and looks in the mirror mounted on the wall above the sink

The pale grey eyes stare back at her, and a memory flashes through her mind.

"Raia, you're an Elysian. That means the angels have acknowledged you. Don't let that Call go in vain; join us in saving this corrupted world. This is the reality, Raia," Simon told her gently, his hands on her shoulders.

Raia couldn't look him in the eyes. Tears streamed down her cheeks, but her expression remained stunned. She was at a loss for words and actions.

Raia reaches for her silver necklace. She clenches her teeth and lowers her gaze, clutching the cross pendant.

"I still don't understand," she hisses, her fists trembling.

What did Simon mean when he said she was acknowledged by the angels? Raia has no recollection of praying to the Light or even requesting a favor from the angels. After all, she hadn't previously believed in them. She only has one wish, and being a disciple appears to be a long way from fulfilling it.

Or so she thinks.

A soft knock at her door jolts her out of her reverie. Her brow furrows as she wonders who it could be. She then sighs. She grabs the towel from the metal hook and wipes her wet face dry before exiting the bathroom.

Raiden greets her with a friendly smile as soon as the door opens. She raises an eyebrow, puzzled by his sudden appearance.

"Hey, I'm sorry if I disturbed you, but Bishop Galbraith has requested our presence," Raiden says, scratching the nape of his neck.

Raia blinks. Only two hours have passed since her Branding, and she spent half an hour touring the place with one of the headquarters staff before being summoned once more. She wonders what it could be about.

Cyrus is on the phone with someone when Raia and Raiden arrive. Of course, his office remains the same. Papers and documents piled up like mountains on his desk.

Cyrus's gaze sweeps over them, and he motions for them to wait while still holding the phone handset to his ear.

Raia looks at Raiden. "So, what's the deal here?"

Raiden shrugs. "I'm not sure. But I'm guessing you're about to embark on your first mission as an Aragon. Congratulations, by the way."

Raia purses her lips into a thin line, recalling what happened during her Branding.

When Raiden notices her sudden change in expression, he pats her on the shoulder and smiles at her when she gives him a puzzled look.

"Alright!" Cyrus exclaims, capturing their attention. "Come on, you two."

Cyrus rests his chin on his interlocked fingers and fixes his gaze on them as they approach his desk. "Pardon me for this unexpected call, but since the others are on another mission, it's just you two. And because this case cannot be handled by a single disciple, I will send Raia as well." He looks at Raia. "Would that be fine with you, given that you've only had a brief rest since arriving here?"