fifteen || lesser of two evils

The song for this chapter is Run by Rainbow Kitten Surprise

Dollar bills,
Money, money, money
Got em hungry for the kill,

***********

Tate

After Harry telling us that we needed to leave, Niall and Abel shot up and started clearing off the table, moving quickly and darting around the room.

I was still kind of shocked at what just happened, and Harry must have noticed it too, as I sat there frozen at the kitchen table.

No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't stop myself from shaking. My ears were still ringing with the sounds of shouts and gunshots, and I couldn't fathom how nonchalant they were all acting. There was blood on Will and Harry, which meant someone had died, and they were acting as if they had just run out to get the mail.

Harry ran a hand through his hair and let out a deep sigh, before walking closer to me and squatting down in front of me. I flinched a little, scared he was going to yell at me and tell me to hurry up and get a move on, but what he did instead shocked me.

He placed his hand on my knee, very gently, and when I wouldn't make eye contact with him, instead of grabbing my chin or making some rude remark, he used his other hand and delicately put one finger under my chin, tilting it up.

"Tate, I know that you're scared. I'm sorry you had to hear all of that, but I really need you to go upstairs and get your stuff. There will be more people coming, and we really need to get out of here," his voice was soft, almost a whisper, and it was like he only wanted me to hear it, scared that the other guys would hear him actually being somewhat decent to me.

I nodded slowly, and he reached out an arm to help me stand, steadying me as I was still shaking.

"Do you need any help?" He asked, in that same quiet voice, like this conversation was a secret that only the two of us were in on.

I shook my head, but he wasn't buying it.

He turned away from me to speak to the rest of the guys.

"Okay, we have about fifteen minutes before we need to leave, can you guys manage to be ready by then?"

"Sir yes sir!" Niall replied, saluting Harry as he did so. Abel and Will nodded and continued to gather all of their things.

Harry turned back to me.

"Come on, let's go upstairs and get your stuff," he sighed, placing his hand on the small of my back and guiding me out of the room.

When we got to the staircase, I could see blood spilled out across the floor of the entryway. I started to gasp but Harry shushed me.

"Don't look Tate, eyes forward." He instructed, and I did as he said gladly, no part of me wanted to see the dead bodies that all of the blood had come from.

We walked up the stairs, Harry's hand still placed on my lower back, and I had never felt more confused. Who was this and what had he done with Harry?

I know Abel had said that he wasn't all bad, but I didn't believe him. He was probably just trying to calm me down so he didn't have to deal with any of my hysterics. I didn't plan on getting used to this side of Harry, but I guess I was cherishing it for the time being.

We reached the room and I walked inside, heading over to my duffle and placing the few items I had left on the bed back in it. I zipped it shut with my unsteady hands, and reached up to put the strap on my shoulder, but before I could, Harry grabbed it from me.