Chapter 5: To Pull an America Singer

Dear Lila,

I'm sorry I had to leave you behind when I was little. I'm sorry I killed you when I took away your name and placed Cordelia on top of it. I'm sorry I took away your life. But I had to do what was necessary. You were naive, ignorant, weak. All the things I didn't want to be. All the things I needed to disperse of so I could be successful. I had to stop pitying myself, I had to stop hoping a nice family would visit my foster home and see me and instantly say, "she's the one." I had to let go of the girl who still had hope, who was still optimistic, who still believed in love. I had to let go of the girl who thought her knight in shining armor would come to rescue her.

You have to understand that you were left behind for the better. I needed to become someone that was strong, not weak. Someone who was well guarded, not naive. Someone who was wise beyond her years, not ignorant. You were the most human part of me, which is exactly why I had to let you go. Cordelia was the girl I wanted to be, because she possessed all of the virtues I needed to survive in the world I was condemned to live.

Because Lila, you wouldn't have even lasted a day.

Sincerely, Cordelia

***

The moment we arrived at the palace, I couldn't help but admire it. It was amazing and stunningly gorgeous.

"Wow," Felicity says beside me with dreamy eyes. "This is amazing-" she's cut off by a girl who purposely runs into her shoulder. "Stop ogling, Felicity." A brunette girl snaps. "You look like a moron."

Ah, the bitch of the bunch. I should have been expecting this, and it was a real struggle for me not to fight back.

"How does she know your name?" I ask Felicity and she looks away. "I used to preform at her mother's birthday parties."

"So you're a musician?" I ask and Felicity nods. "I guess you can say that."

As we entered the palace, I was amazed. I was already awestruck outside, but this was even better. Gold intertwined the walls and furniture, while the floors were white and so polished and clean you could see your reflection.

"Ladies." a hard voice snaps our attention to a woman with long curly hair and very high heels. "I am Victoria. I will be the one seeing all of you over, including things like projects, preparing you for interviews, proper social etiquette. All of the things you can even think of that would be requited for a future princess, and a future queen." Victoria looks down at her clipboard and slips on her dainty glasses. "You will all be assigned your rooms and maids." When we don't move she glares at us. "Well go on then, don't just stand there. People are waiting for you upstairs. Meet back down here for dinner, and be properly dressed. The princes will be meeting you all tomorrow."

We all hurry up the steps of the spiraling staircase and find many guards waiting to escort us.

Once I arrive at the door of my room, three maids were already waiting for me.

"Miss, you must hurry in, we need more measurements." A girl that looked about my age says. Her red hair was twisted into a ponytail and her green eyes were bright. It's a shame she was a maid, she was so beautiful.

"Elise, please don't rip the girl's arm off." An older one says. She looks about in her twenties, her raven black hair is long so that is stops at her hips.

Elise lets go of my arm sheepishly and takes a step back. Then, all my three maids are standing in a line. The last girl, standing off to the side with bent shoulders and a childish looking face, blushed toward me. Her platinum blond hair was blocking her face while she stayed silent.