Chapter Fifty-Seven

Chapter Fifty-Seven - Training

*Genevieve*

Leaning forwards, I smirked as I watched Emmett let out a grunt, his body flying back and landing roughly into the dirt again. Jasper stood back up and pretended to dust off his shirt, a hint of a smirk appearing on his face as he watched Emmett quickly stand back up, huffing and puffing as the two stared each other in the eye.

"Again," Emmett barked, starting forwards back towards Jasper. The two quickly got ready to spar once more, their fight only getting broken up by the sound of Emmett's Jeep entering into the clearing. The entire family paused, watching as the Jeep veered into a smaller clearing to the side and came to a quick stop. Bella and Edward hopped out of the car after a few seconds and started to walk towards the family, Edward biting back whatever snarky remark he was planning on saying when he noticed Bella's wolf charm.

"It's a graduation present," she said, pulling her arm back down, the two intertwining their hands as they stepped forwards to meet up with the rest of the family. Bella looked around the forest in wonder, a faint smile appearing on her face as she smelled the fresh pine trees. As she scanned the trees, her eyes widened as she noticed Theo and I sitting lazily on one of the branches high above the clearing.

I smirk and send her a mock wave, while Theo quickly gets up and gracefully makes his way towards a different branch, concealing himself in the shadows of the trees and hiding away from Bella's prying eyes. Bella watches him leave the branch, her eyebrows furrowing when she doesn't see him reappearing anywhere. Before she could ask Edward about it, her attention shifted, watching with wide eyes as the wolves began to appear over the hill, snarling as they looked over the group.

"They don't trust us enough to be in their human forms," Edward announces after a few minutes, turning towards Carlisle with an unimpressed look.

"They came, that's what matters," Carlisle replies simply. He glances back towards the wolves before looking back at Edward. "Will you translate?"

Edward nods and watches as Carlisle steps forward, making his way to the front of our side. Jasper follows a few steps behind, his arms locked at his side as he looks over each wolf.

"Hey Jake," Bella mutters, looking over at a russet brown wolf.

At her words, the black wolf, who was only a bit bigger than Jacob, snarled. Causing Jacob to flinch before snarling back, the two seeming to be momentarily locked into an argument. 

"Seems like the bitches are fighting," I mutter, smirking when I see Rose stifle a chuckle.

"Welcome," Carlisle greets, looking at the wolves before glancing back at Jasper. "Jasper has experience with newborns. He'll teach us how to defeat them."

One of the wolves huffed, looking from Jasper to Edward, pawing at the ground as they silently communicated.

"They want to know how the newborns differ from us," Edward announces, his eyes leaving the wolves and glancing back over at Carlisle.

"They're a great deal stronger than us, because their own human blood lingers in their tissues," Carlisle explains, "our kind, is more physically powerful than in our first several months in this life."

He looks back at Jasper, the two sharing a nod before he turns and walks back towards Esme. All of our gazes then turn towards Jasper, who steps forwards and begins to methodically pace.

"Carlisle's right." His voice is a sharp contrast to Carlisle's soothing and soft tone. "That's why they are created. A newborn army doesn't need thousands like a human army... but no human army could stand against them." He suddenly stops his pacing, turning on his heel to look at the wolves, a hidden warning resting in his eyes. "Now, the two most important things to remember are first... never let them get their arms around you, they'll crush you instantly. And second... never go for the obvious kill. They'll be expecting that... and you... will lose."