✼ Chapter Thirteen: Game ✼

<< Who will be the winner of this game? >>

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

"Alright, Yvette," [Name] said. "Without looking, which branches are the thickest on the next five trees?"

Yvette, a 5-year-old girl with scruffy black hair, closed her eyes. "The top left on the first, bottom right on the second, the diagonal left on the third, the bottom left on the fourth, and trunk on the fifth."

"Good," [Name] praised. "Alicia. Which branches would break the easiest?"

"The down diagonal right one on the fifth, and all of the branches on the third."

[Name] nodded. "That's right."

Don scratched his head. "Aren't you teaching us to play tag? Why do we have to memorize this stuff?"

[Name] wagged her finger. "I specialize in escape without touching the ground. When you're running through the trees, you have to make these calculations like that," she snapped her fingers for emphasis. "Now, which branches would make the most leaves fall?"

"The outer ones on all of the trees," he said immediately. "But we don't have as quick as a mind as you do."

"He didn't either," [Name] said calmly. "But he did it as good as I could."

"He?" Don tilted his head. [Name] waved her hand.

"You wouldn't remember him. Now, go and jump the safest route."

As she watched her small team go off and navigate through the trees, [Name] kept an eye on the ground to see what they were doing. Fewer leaves were falling and she couldn't see their shadows as easily as she could when they first started. She smiled. They were making progress. However...

"Alright," she said, landing delicately next to them. "So we've gotten better at concealing ourselves visually, but we need to work on our sound. Camouflage won't do you much good if Norman can hear you jumping around. Anna! Which branches would creak the most if you jumped on them?"

"Is this training or studying?" Emma teased, poking her head out from another tree. "[Name], go easy on them, would you?"

[Name] rolled her eyes. "They can jump through the trees all they want," she replied, "but it won't do them any good if Norman can find them and trap them."

"I think they're doing pretty good for their first day," Emma pouted.

[Name] sighed. "I suppose," she admitted, averting her eyes from the smug looks of her team. "But anyway, what're you doing here?"

"Oh! We're going to start playing now!" Emma grinned. "[Name], you'll be 'it' with Norman, I'll help the kids, and Ray will watch so that he can correct them later."

"Wait, [Name] too?!" Alicia protested. "We can't win against our teacher!"

"I never agreed to this," [Name] added. Emma clasped her hands in front of her, giving a puppy-eyed expression.

"Please? For me?" she pleaded.

Shit.

[Name] leaned back, a slight pink dusting her cheeks. "A-Alright, fine, just stop looking at me like that!" She pushed Emma away, averting her eyes. 

"Yay!" Emma cheered. Don glared at [Name] half-heartedly.

"You give in too easily," he accused. [Name] rolled her eyes.

"Not my fault she's adorable," she muttered. "ANYWAYS," she coughed into her fist, "Let's meet up with Norman."

"Simp," Thoma and Lani snickered. [Name] bopped them on the head.