-15-

ZAHRIAH CRUZ

Dominic sat alongside the pool meanwhile I continued packing our things away. We were set to leave in another hour now that my moms were finally asleep after talking off our heads about their flight down. Dominic vibes so well with both of them to the point where it warmed my heart to be a witness of the dialogue. They had the same sense of humor, very similar stories in terms of their upbringing and of course, the charm and respect he had tied every thing together. Dominic stole the show of any room he walked into; now that he had gotten out of his shell and was much more comfortable being around me; his personality spoke volumes.

Unlike the rest, I on the other hand was quite unsettled. With my mother's words playing in the back of my head, it made it hard for me join in on the banter. I was already hours ahead to this moment right here, we had to leave; it was a given. It just sucked that we had to do so right when he had gotten to this point in recovery.

The moment they fell asleep, I could feel the shift in Dominic's vibe; it was something I was experiencing myself. I knew I didn't want to leave here as yet, so I can only imagine how he felt. Thinking of being back in the city made me nervous beyond words, I didn't know what would happen next or if I was risking it all with a move that I felt was best for his safety. My mind was all over the place, I was just trying to do the right thing nevertheless.

I found myself getting so frustrated from overthinking and decided to take a break. I ran my hand down the side of my jeans and left the room with the anticipation to meet Dominic outside. To my surprise, my mom stood in the dim light brought in from outside, leaned against the bar, with a cup in hand. My mom looked over at me with a smug look, nodding me over just as she finished off whatever she was drinking.

I pulled the door closed and walked over, looking through the window and Dominic who sat right where he had said he would be; his feet in the water and his head up, looking at the stars. One of the little routines we had gotten into since being here.

"You guys are leaving." She stated before placing her cup into the sink and turning to face me with folded arms.

"Yeah, I gotta head back for work." I scratched the side of my face nervously, refusing to make any form of eye contact.

"Don't lie to me." She shook her head, "We've never been that type of family."

"I'm serious..." I muttered.

"I spoke with your mother." She stepped over to stand by my side, looking out the window at Dominic. "She told me about him."

I rolled my eyes, "mom, I already heard it from her. I don't want to go through this again."

"You don't have to because I'm not going to try to tell you what to do. You're a grown woman and have always made the right choices for yourself."

"And let me guess, this isn't one of them?"

"I never said that." She shook her head, "Dominic is a great guy! Has a lot of potential... I actually believe that he needs the right people in his corner. In fact, you're definitely the right kind of person."

"Hmm, mother seems to think differently."

"Your mother is scared and she has every right to be. This is very risky stuff; it's her job to worry about you. You're our only daughter and the last thing we want is to have to talk to you through a glass window for the next few years." I huffed, but she raised her hand. "I'm not going to be the one to just up and tell you to report him. I don't see anything dangerous about that man and I know you wouldn't be doing this if you felt as if he was a threat. It's deeper."

"It is!"

"Which is totally fine." She nodded, "all I can really ask is that you are careful... I know you're smart but this has nothing to do with book smarts, it's all street. We've sheltered and protected you for as long as I can remember, but maturity and quick thinking was something you never struggled with. Be smart, always have a back up plan. When it becomes too much feel free to let go. I know and he will know that you tried your best."