Three Years On

The search for Azula had come up short. Iroh had to go back to the United forces after a couple of months, leaving Sukara alone for the next two years. In all honesty, Sukara had calmed down on her search, it felt like she had looked everywhere without even finding a lead. She had even gone back down to the south Pole to have a look around, even dropping in to see Hata and hiding from anyone Avatar related in the process.

Now however, Sukara seemed to have settled down for a month or so in an Earth Kingdom town. She had gotten a job as an aid for a bending instructor and was living in the space above the gym.

On her day off, Sukara sat in a bar, watching a woman from across the room. She was trying to be discreet but she was sure that she'd seen her before. It took her a moment but something about her eyes made it click.

"Korra?" She called as she jumped off the stool to make her way over to her.

The Avatar frowned as she looked up to see Sukara making her way over to her.

"What are you doing here?" she huffed, looking back down at the table.

"I live here," she said simply, taking the chair opposite Korra, "you? You got Avatar business?"

"No," Korra said, glancing up at her, Sukara's cheery tone making her uncomfortable.

"So what is it? Cause you look rough," Sukara joked, trying to get a smile out of Korra, "really though, are you okay?"

"You wouldn't get it," Korra said, closing off, "and why would I tell you anything? So you can get back at me?"

"Why would I want to get back at you?" Sukara asked, leaning over the table.

"I basically killed you," Korra told her, slight confusion in her tone, "locked you up for thousands of years."

"Oh right," Sukara laughed, sitting back in her chair, "you killed Unalaq, and between us, that was a gift to society. That man was an idiot. And for the imprisonment thing, Wan did that and he was just finishing up the job. I have no quarrel with you."

Korra frowned at her. It wasn't the response she was expecting. This wasn't her experience with Vaatu at all, but it was her experience with Sukara. She had been nothing but laid back and accepting since they had met. It was making it hard to connect the two of them in her head.

"So? You gonna tell me what's up?" Sukara asked, trying to gain eye contact with her.

"I told you," Korra sighed, picking at the cracks in the table, "you wouldn't get it."

"Oh no, I wouldn't get it. I'm just the only other person on earth who shares some understanding on who you are," Sukara shrugged sarcastically, "I would have absolutely no understanding."

"Alright, stop," Korra sighed, giving up on trying to dodge her questions, "after I got poisoned, I was really hurt. Physically, I think I've healed but there's something still wrong with me. I keep seeing... Myself. Like a full avatar state, angry, tries to attack me. Know anything about that?"

"Well, no," Sukara said, trying to put together what she had just been told, "but... Um... I don't know. I have never heard anything like that but I can stay and talk if you need a stranger to listen."

"So you got nothing?" Korra huffed, slumping back in her chair.

"No, no, I come bearing friendship," Sukara chuckled, reaching across and patting the table, "tell me all about it."

"Why do you wanna be friends so badly?" Korra asked, partly changing the subject, partly curious, "shouldn't you hate me? Or at least want nothing to do with me?"

"Ever think that it might be because you're the only familiar thing I have?" Sukara said, her tone softening in her sincerity. Korra just frowned at her so she explained further, "Raava is my brother's spirit, and I didn't always hate him. I don't know, I guess you reminded me of a younger him. I know you're not, but family was never a good thing for me so hanging onto little things makes me feel better."

"I'm sorry about your family," Korra said, a gentle smile on her lips, "but you're right, I'm not your brother. We're not family but, you're not so bad. I can give you an acquaintance, if you're good with that. I'll be honest, I still don't totally trust you."

"I'll take what I can get," Sukara smiled, getting up from the table, "I will now leave you to mope on your own. I'm staying above the bending gym if you need anything."