Ch 78: Nightmare

Nightingale is very skinny. Lin Yie can barely feel her weight in his arms. She also doesn't have the waist-long hair. Instead, it is cut short and dried up like grass. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say she looks like a refugee.

"Who-who are you?"

Nightingale... No, this is Liz, Sarkaz's little devil.

Lin Yie glances at her and says, "I'm here to save you, Liz."

"Why do you know my name?"

Lin Yie does not know how to answer her or have the time to do that. Those Sarkaz warriors are catching up with him. Their heavy footsteps echo in the tunnel.

"Kill him!"

"He's a spy! He's here to steal our medic!"

Liz panics, "You're a spy!"

"How the fuck do I look like a spy?" Lin Yie pushes his body to its limit and keeps running, "Did you always talk like this?!"

"But you attacked my kins..." Liz looks at the stick in his hand and trembles, "Will you beat me too?"

"I already told you, I'm here to save you!" Lin Yie pants, "So, how much further do we have to go?!"

Lin Yie thinks he might be lost. This is not the same path he took before.

Liz asks, "Are you bringing me to the other side?"

"I have no idea what you are talking about. I just want to get you out of here. After that, you can go wherever you want. If you have nowhere to go, just come with me and join Rhodes Island."

"What is Rhodes Island?"

Lin Yie really wants to make her be quiet. Why does she have so many questions? But after seeing her malnutrition body and wounds, he can't bring himself to do it.

"I'll tell you when we get out."

After a while, Lin Yie comes across a fork.

Lin Yie is getting anxious. He looks around and finds a small hole. It is very small. Liz has to duck to enter, and Lin Yie, who is much bigger than her, has to curl up like a ball to barely fit inside. A few seconds later, the Sarkaz's are here. Lin Yie quickly covers her mouth.

"Split up! They can't outrun us all!"

Soon, their voices and footsteps are gone. Lin Yie sighs.

He looks at Liz again. Her beautiful blue eyes are filled with fear.

"Don't be so afraid." Lin Yie smiles helplessly, "Why don't you recognize me?"

Liz says in a small voice, "I really don't know you."

"You will." Lin Yie says, "Ten years later."

Liz opens her mouth, but she doesn't say anything.

"Be quiet. We will hide here for a while before getting out." Lin Yie pats her small head.

Maybe his talent is working. Liz looks calmer now.

"You really are getting me out?" She asks carefully.

"Yes."

"To the other side?"

"I already said I don't know where the other side is." Lin Yie says, "I just don't want to see you suffering anymore."

Liz asks confusedly, "Suffering? What is that?"

Lin Yie falls silent. He looks at the little girl that is covered with wounds.

"Why don't you heal yourself?" Lin Yie asks, "You should be able to do that at least, right?"

Liz shakes her head, "I can't heal myself. I need to save my strength for my kins."

"But your kins are hurting you."

Liz lowers her head.

This really pains Lin Yie.

"How long have you stayed here?"

Liz shakes her head, "I don't know. I was here when the war started. I haven't gone out for a very long time."

"Really? Then, you can go outside today." Lin Yie says, "I'm really not from the other side."

"If you are not, why do you want to bring me out?" Liz asks, "I want to be with my kins. They are fighting. I have to heal them."

"No, these people don't deserve you. You should leave this place and get a new life."

"A new life?"

"Yes." Lin Yie pauses before saying, "Like the one where you can eat pineapple buns whenever you want."

"What are pineapple buns?"

"Haha. That question really caught me off guard there." Lin Yie smiles while patting her head, "You will know later. By the way, what is this stench?"

Lin Yie looks around and finds the source of the smell. It is coming from his stick. There are some brown substances on its tip.

"Whatever. Let's get out."

Liz follows him obediently. However, when Lin Yie gets out, a hammer hits his head.

"Gotcha."

Lin Yie can't speak anymore. He feels his brain is crushed. All he can do with his last bit of strength is looking up slightly. In front of him, there is a Sarkaz, and his crotch is bleeding.

The devil drags Liz out of the hole, and Liz tries to reach Lin Yie.

No.

Not like this. Not like this!

Lin Yie suddenly opens his eyes and sees Nightingale curled up in a corner. She seems to be panicking.

"Liz!"

Before Lin Yie can do anything, the door is suddenly kicked open. Kal'tsit steps inside. When she sees Nightingale, her expression turns ugly.

"Dr. Lin?!" Kal'tsit looks at him and clenches her teeth, "Explain yourself!"