Chapter 62

My best friend was getting married the following day

Ellie's wedding would be the first I went to. We sat on the bed in the bridal suite, both a bit nervous, both feeling intimidated by the unknown.

"You have no doubts, right?" I asked Ellie for the sake of it.

Ellie laughed. "Doubts? God, no. I can't imagine anyone else I would want to spend my life with. Is that weird?"

"It's not," I said, looking at my friend's beautiful and delicate wedding dress on the hanger. Ellie would look stunning in it, and I would make sure she had pictures of every moment of her special day. Aiden and Ellie deserved to be happy after the crazy ride their relationship had been. "You are madly in love with each other. That's what really matters."

I meant what I'd said. Mom always told me every couple had their challenges, but what mattered was how they overcame them and how strong their feelings were. She referred to my dad - they met in college, and he was her first everything. My friend and her soon-to-be husband were an example of love that conquered all. I had never doubted they'd make it.

Ellie hugged me tightly. "I know. And I'm so happy to have you to share my wedding day with. I don't know how I would've made it without you and your support. You've been promoted to my sister, Skylar. I'm so damn excited to have you near me to share many more happy moments with you."

I kissed Ellie's cheek. "After your honeymoon, although I guess you'll need another month to recover from the one you'll spend traveling with your guy."

"I know it's crazy, but the trip to Italy is Jimmy's gift, and the South of France was Aiden's idea. We both worked hard; I think thirty days for ourselves is what we need before the craziness begins."

"I know." I grinned. "Don't worry; I'll water Toughie."

Ellie and I burst out laughing. Toughie was a cactus I'd given her shortly after she returned from her trip home, which turned out to be a disaster full of soul-wrenching events. Toughie had to bloom, but there were no flowers yet. The guy who sold it to me must have lied.

"So," Ellie said, "the manager of the restaurant said everything was ready, Jimmy will personally supervise the music-"

"Ellie, it's gonna be alright." I smiled, hugging her. "Your wedding will be perfect. You don't have to worry so much. Your only task is to enjoy your day and your almost-husband."

"I know, but it's not easy. We'll talk when your time comes." Ellie winked at me, biting her lip.

"I have no idea when that will be, if ever." I rolled my eyes. "For now, you're my priority. Let's go over that to-do list of yours. As your maid of honor, I have to make sure you don't have anything to worry about."

***

Ellie was a nervous wreck the following day. I had to remind her not to cry and let the stylist do her job, all the while I took photos of Ellie and the girls.