024

! chapter twenty-four !

─── ∙ ~ ✩ ~ ∙ ───

"UNBREAKABLE VOW," RON REPEATED on the train ride home for Christmas break. Haven watched her brother warily from next to him, still unable to grasp the information he'd just told them. He apparently had overheard Snape and Draco's conversation, something about the professor trying to help out the younger boy, who had denied his request. To be honest, deep down she had a feeling all along, but she wasn't ready to admit that yet. The outside passed in a blur of white, Haven could hardly make anything out, from the tips of the trees, to the blades of grass, everything was covered top to bottom in heavy snow. It was like a thick blanket had draped itself over the outside world. "You sure that's what Snape said?"

"Positive. Why?"

"Well it's just... you can't break an Unbreakable Vow."

Harry rolled his eyes. "Yeah, I worked that much out for myself funnily enough."

"I can't believe this," Haven muttered, shaking her head. "You said this happened after the party? That's impossible, I was with Draco—"

"Why were you with Draco?" Harry interrupted, raising his brows in suspicion.

Haven sighed. "Because he was my date, alright? Now let me finish. I was with him all night, there's no way Snape could've been talking to him. You're sure it was Draco?"

"Yes," Harry answered. "I'm sure. And you were with him all night?"

"Well, no," her voice slightly faltered. "After he—I mean, after we left the party he walked me back to my dorm. But still, majority of the night we were together."

"Oh, bloody hell," Ron abruptly whispered, and Haven glanced up to follow his gaze, her eyes landing on Lavender, who was stood at the door. Haven didn't know the girl that well, and she honestly felt like she could've potentially liked her if she didn't know how Hermione felt about the redhead. Lavender seemed nice enough, but she didn't miss the dirty looks that were shot her way every time Haven was around Ron. She nearly gagged at the thought—Haven never had any sort of interest in him. He was like her second brother.

Lavender blew on the window, making it fog up. Haven watched as she drew a heart in it, putting the letters L + R in the middle of the design. The compartment fell into an uncomfortable silence, and Haven felt the sudden urge to burst out laughing. Harry awkwardly pulled out the arm rest that was built into the seat. She scowled as it scraped against her back. She shot him a glare, but realized he hadn't even noticed as he played with the handle of it. Haven stared at her hands, fidgeting with them because she didn't know what else to do.

Finally, after what it seemed like a lifetime, Lavender left, and Ron leaned forward. "Lovely," Harry commented, and Haven couldn't stop the small laugh from escaping.