Chapter 51

-----------------------> TRADITIONS WERE IMPORTANT

-----------------------> TRADITIONS WERE IMPORTANT. They showed a person's belief, faith, heritage, history and culture. They also all but defined a person's pureblood heritage.

These beautiful customs were off two parts- the overall ones and the individual ones.

The overall ones were the foundation of pureblood manners and behaviours, from their way of greeting and address all the way to the rituals used in festivals and the types of balls they held. Meanwhile, individual traditions were the one that was especially unique to a pureblood family- like the Malfoy's with their heir travels and the Macmillian's with their duelling.

These individual traditions were special for they were crafted with love and care by their ancestors.

The Blacks had an abundance of traditions, like the fact that every member when they reach majority must invest in a business, or the boys in their family would receive a pocket watch when they turned seventeen while the girls received a charm bracelet.

As you can probably tell, seventeen -an arithmetically very strong number- was not just the year one became a magical adult (thus, having the trace on their wand removed, not that it ever stopped her from performing magic anyway) and could drink fire whiskey legally, it was also the year meant for completing all these traditions and customs.

Lyra was given her charm bracelet on the morning of her seventeenth birthday. She had been very much looking forward to it, having longingly stared at the bracelets adorning her mother's, Aunt Lucretia's, Aunt Dorea's, Aunt Cassiopeia's and even Bellatrix and Andromeda's wrists. So when her father presented one to her, she had hugged him tightly for the longest time.

The charm bracelets were traditionally given to the daughters by their fathers or the closest male relative after reaching the age of majority, and when given, the bracelet would have seventeen charms, each for a summer that they had seen.

Every charm was handmade by a designer in France and personally handcrafted just for them and there were no two alike. The father would pick out all the charms that he thought suited his daughter's personality or one where they had an inside joke on.

After being presented with the bracelet (that was enchanted with many hidden protection runes and wards), it was the girl's choice on what she wanted to do with it- she could either continue to add a charm every year until she died or just be content with those seventeen charms.

Lyra was quite sure she wanted to expand her bracelet as she grew older, but she couldn't help but feel touched by the time that her father must have taken to pick those charms, for each of them meant something to her. It seemed her father was extremely observant, and knew her better than she did herself.

Regarding the whole 'invest in a company' custom, Lyra knew exactly which company to invest in. She had, in fact, actually known which company she wanted to buy shares in ever since she was a young girl.