An Encounter With Ghosts

AN: I can't believe I have 200 reads! Thank you so much. I honestly just made this to pass time in quarantine and for fun because I loved this. It's my first story so I'm really happy.

.....

Nico was trying hard to control his anger at the ghost that stood in front of him. It was on his knees while begging for forgiveness. 'Who let this ghost outside of the underworld?' Nico thought. 'Thanatos must have a better excuse than watching My Little Pony and being distracted this time.'

All the students were looking at Nico in astonishment. Their history teacher was practically sobbing with the way he was talking to the exchange student.

Nico gave the ghost a look, making the teacher go silent. In a deadly calm voice, he said. "I fear you are mistaken. Are you alright, Mr..?" He left the question hanging in the air.

"Binns. Professor Binns." The ghost answered confused by the Ghost King's demeanor.

"Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Nico di Angelo and I'm the new exchange student, Professor." Nico said in a polite voice while keeping eye contact with the spirit. In a much lower voice so that only he and the ghost could hear he muttered. "And I was sent by my father so I suggest you do not interrupt my mission or be an annoyance."

The teacher merely nodded and "flew" at the front of the class greeting everyone in a nervous tone as if that had not just happened. The Golden Trio looked at him with confusion in their eyes. "What was that?" asked Harry. Nico just shrugged innocently and Luna was trying really hard not to laugh but a small smile was on her face.

He crossed his arms and put them on top of his desk, resting his head on them and falling asleep for the rest of the class. Amazingly he did not dream of any of his past encounters with Tartarus or had any other nightmares. Nico was woken up by Luna lightly nudging him. "Nico we have Arithmancy and then Astronomy together. Let's go."

He nodded and followed her to the stairs that led to Arithmancy. He was glad that this subject was an elective so he chose it to be with Luna since it was the only student he was most familiar with besides Draco and Neville. In all honesty, he did not understand any of the topics they were talking about. Even without dyslexia and with magic he still sucked at anything that had to do with numbers. He made a mental note to ask if he could just change classes or maybe he'll just skip it.

Next, they had astronomy. The class went to the roof to examine the stars since it was already dark. He smiled softly at seeing Zoë's a tear leaving his eye. He didn't meet her when she was alive but he often visited her in Elysium. They talked about Bianca, being always on edge and they just understood each other. He was there for her judgment as well and saw her past memories clearly remembering her last words: "Stars. I can see the stars again, m'lady."

Still grinning he went to Great Hall to have dinner. He went over to the Gryffindor table, which he found utterly ridiculous. Why did the houses have to eat at different tables? Isn't Dumbledore trying to promote house unity or whatever? Plus it was obvious he hated Slytherin, adored Gryffindor, and paid no mind to the other houses.

Nico didn't understand why there was so much prejudice against Slytherin. Their house values were "ambition, leadership, self-preservation, cunning, and resourcefulness." How was that bad? Slytherins think before acting while most Gryffindors acted recklessly without sparing a thought to the consequences.

He also thought that Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs deserved way better recognition. Not all Ravenclaws were smart some of them entered by having creativity and art skills. Meanwhile, Hufflepuffs were not cowards because they were kind and overall friendly. Trust him he had met a fair share of Hufflepuffs that held a grudge for a long time and were not at all hugs and kisses.

At once all the ghosts in the room bowed lightly to him. He realized Binns must have told all the other ghosts of the situation. A way too happy ghost flew over him and dumped a bucket of cold water. Nico let out a very manly scream at the freezing liquid as it hit him. The students' attention centered on him when they heard the splash. They looked shocked at the turn of events but seemed to understand it when they gazed up at the ghost who had drenched him.

"I heard that an exchange student cam here so I had to show him who runs this place." The spirit said in between snickers. The ghost turned to face him and visibly paled (as much as a ghost could) at seeing who he had soaked. "Oh my god! I'm so sorry master! I did not know it was you! Please forgive me." The ghost sobbed.

"Get up." Nico hissed drying his clothes with a spell he had read in a Charms book. "I'm no one. In front of the other students, you will not address me as your master and I will not tolerate this kind of behavior towards me. Understand?"

The ghost nodded and flew to the Hufflepuff table evidently still traumatized. Most students looked at him with a curious gaze but when Nico continued walking to his table they resumed to whatever they were doing before. He related at this thinking that it was lucky that so many strange things had happened in this school that most people didn't bother to ask or care too much.

He sat beside Hermione to eat since she was one of the tolerable people in Gryffindor and he had to act the part of being friends with the three of them in order to protect Harry and his couple of baby ducks that followed him everywhere. However, Hermione was not as mindless as Ron and Nico suspected that maybe she had saved their asses more than once. Nico engaged in a friendly conversation with her while they ate. However, their interaction was cut short when a loud obnoxious voice interrupted them.

"So you're Nico right?" He turned to look at a guy who he had seen in a few classes. He had dirty blond hair and brown eyes. "I'm Cormac McLaggen." Nico just nodded to him and turned again to Hermione. The boy didn't seem to get the hint and continued talking. "So, sweetie." Nico sneered at the nickname but ignore him. "Did you hear about Professor Slughorn's Christmas party? Would a pretty little thing like you would wanna go with me?"

Nico was done with this guy and stood up towering over him. "No, thanks," he said leaving no room for argument. "I will be going alone. Thank you very much."

He faced Hermione and she had a smug smirk. The boy had also asked her on various occasions to be her date but his behavior was obviously annoying her. Hermione waved her fingers in a goodbye manner.

"And would you want to go with me?" A voice said behind Nico. He turned around clearly irritated that people didn't get he wanted to go alone. However, he stayed with his mouth open. The boy in front of him had golden curls, was a few inches than him, and tan skin. He had the Hufflepuff uniform on and an easygoing smile and his face.

"Sunshine?"

.....

AN: Thank you so much for reading. BTW sometimes I won't be able to update everyday since I have a lot of responsibilities and don't have the time. However, I promise I won't pass the deadline of two days without updating. Hope you liked it! Have a good day!