Prologue

The perfect moment is often hard to find.

Most people spend their lives searching for their one perfect moment, the exact moment when they realize that everything is perfectly as it should be. It's not like the grueling times are forgotten, but it's in that one perfect moment that we learn to look at life not through the lens of the bad, but the good. Like I said, most people spend their entire lives pursuing this one moment.

I'm luckier than most people. I'm living it.

My perfect moment is being painted by the glorious combination of my niece, my job with Tony and the Avengers, my work with Steve and his crew, and my relationship with Bucky. The past year and a half have been pure bliss, a beautiful contrast from my previous hardships.

But that's the thing about the one perfect moment, it has to come to an end.

And the end of mine would be the harshest, most gut-wrenching end there could have ever been. The most heart-breaking part is that I didn't see it coming, none of us did. I didn't know I'd walk away from the people I love and not see them again.

What I do know, though, is that I won't let this be forever. I can't bear to lose them forever, to lose him forever.

For him, I will always fight.