Ch. 14

South Memphis, TN

Key's POV

When I took off the bandanna I looked around realizing we were in a studio. I looked at Cali with a confused look on my face.

" What we doing in a studio?" I asked still standing in the same spot.

" You remember a few weeks ago, I made you rap fa me?" Cali asked with her hands behind her back.

" Yea, and so what?"

" I paid fa yo studio time. Well, I paid fa enough until the day of graduation. Then you'll start having to pay it yo self." She laughed.

A few weeks ago, Cali came over my house to see my momma and grandma. After they talked for a while, she came in my room being nosey as hell like she always is. She saw my book where I write my songs at. She opened it, and asked me to rap to her. It took her a few more minutes of her annoying the fuck outta me, for me to finally give in.

" Nah, Cali I can't ask you to do nun like this. It's too much." I said shaking my head.

" Well, it's a good thing you didn't ask." She smiled.

I couldn't believe she did this fa me. Ain't no girl ever bought me shit, let alone ever did no shit like this for me. Not only did it show me that even though she wasn't sober, she still took the time to listen and remember something that was so important to me.

" Why you doing this?" I asked curiously as I nervously bit at the corner of my bottom lip.

" I know this is some you really wanna do. But you got other priorities right na, so financially you can't. I wouldn't be a real friend, if I did nothing knowing I could help you out until we graduate. And plus I believe in you, and I know you can make it cause you got talent Markeyvius." She said looking at me with a  serious look on her face.

I hugged her tightly and said, " I'ma pay you back after we graduate fool, I swear to God."

" I don't want you to pay me back. Look at it's a Christmas gift." She said hugging me back.

We was hugged up fa a good lil minute until she made me let her go.

" Hea, now go get in the booth. Cause in hea time is money, AND BITCH WE LOSING IT." She said as she pulled out my song book from ha purse.

" How you—" I was finna ask, but she cut me off.

" Don't worry bout all dat. Now getcho ass in the booth, and record so you can have a mixtape done before we graduate." She said as she pushed me in the booth.

I got in the booth put on the headphones that were hanging up on the recording mic. I pulled my backwoods from behind my ear, and lit it.

 I pulled my backwoods from behind my ear, and lit it

As I got myself ready the sound engineer came in.

" Ready whenever you are. What's your name?" He asked me.

" Glock... Nah, KEY GLOCK." I said as I smiled looking at Cali remembering she said she liked Key Glock better.

" Ight Key Glock, let's hear it." He said.

I nodded as Caliana smiled and gave me two thumbs up. I began rapping. It was as if it came to me naturally.

After 4 hours in the studio, I had finished 2 songs. The sound engineer did whatever the fuck he was suppose to do. He played the songs back for us, and it sounded good. Once the sound engineer left out Cali turned and looked at me.

" You ready to dip KEY GLOCK?" She said in mocking manner while laughing.

" Ahaha. You tryna be funny, but real shit Cali I preciate what you did fa me." I said looking at ha.

" As long as you promise you won't forget bout lil ole me when you get fame and shit." She said as she held out her pinky finger.

" I won't. I promise." I said as I locked pinkies with her.

" AND I gotta be in your first music video." She said squeezing my pinky tighter to get me to agree to it.

" No." I said shaking my head letting her pinky go.

" What? Why not? I'm not good enough to be in yo music video." She said as she leaned back in the rolling chair rolling her eyes.

" It's not the fact that you not good enough. Ion want you playing some hoe in a video. You too beautiful fa that, and you deserve better than that. You should be in a magazine. Nah, fuck that you should be on the cover of that bitch. And when I make it I'ma make sure you get it too." I said truthfully.

" Thanks Key." She said looking down trying not to blush.

" Now look at me real quick."

" What you want Key?" She said as she looked at me.

I took a picture of her without giving her self a second to fix herself.

" Delete it. I know it's ugly cause I wasn't even ready." She whined as she tried to grab my phone to delete the picture herself.

" She whined as she tried to grab my phone to delete the picture herself

" Nope, it's perfect." I said looking at it before I locked my phone.

" Ugh, you post that shit if you want too, and watch I'ma beat the piss outcha... AGAIN." She said laughing as she got up.

" One time, and you done let that shit get to yo head. And you only won cause I let ya ass win." I said as I mugged her head as we walked out the studio.

We got in the truck. We drove back to her house, so I could get my car. Before she got out she looked at me and said, " You don't have to tell anybody bout me paying fa the studio either."

" Why not?" I asked with my eyebrows knitted together.

" Cause ion want that overshadowing you, and how hard you worked to get where you at." She said looking at me.

" But ian made it nowhere yet." I said.

" Yeah, keyword YET.. Now, text me when you make it home." She smiled at me as she unbuckled her seatbelt, and got out the car.

We said our goodbyes as I got in my car. As I was driving home, I realized my momma and grandma might be right about Caliana..