Chapter 4

It's like someone had pulled a rug right beneath his feet. Brandon isn't going to lie, he was caught off guard. He knew this was bound to happen, he just thought he would have known exactly how to react since it has been so long since their break up. But as she stood there, a couple of strides away from him, he can't seem to get himself to think clearly.

Was he supposed to just ignore her? Act freaking civil? God,either way seemed damn weird. How do you act when you see someone who holds a huge part of your past after a heartbreaking decision to end the relationship?

A slap on his back made him snap out of his trance. "Come on," Nichola said warily, ushering Brandon to the building.

Brandon sat through the meeting feeling the side of his face burn, internally cursing himself for being too hyper aware of those brown eyes that flickers to his direction every once in a while. After the meeting he could hear the hushed chatters.

"Isn't it awkward? You know, Cassie and Brandon?Ex lovers. Maybe they still have feelings; it's not like they ended badly. Could have a chance. "

"Why would they, especially Brandon? They've been broken up for years! Anyway he's already in a happy and healthy relationship."

"Wonder how Skyler would feel once she finds out they're going to have to work together again?"

"Yo shitheads, don't you have case reports to sort through?" Nicholas, bless him, walks past Brandon to scold the lot of Interns huddled by the coffee lounge.

Brandon clicked his tongue turning the other way to head for his office, deciding to avoid this nonsensical drama. He flopped down his leather clad office chair and dialed in her number to tell her the news. A lump had formed in his throat. It's not like he has much of a choice.

"Hey, this is Sky I'm probably in a meeting or something so just leave me a message after the beep."

He smiled to himself at just the mere sound of her voice, easing him a bit of whatever worries he had. Brandon sighd, leaning back propping his crossed ankles on his desk.

"Hey, baby. I forgot you did surgery around this time of the day, " he takes a deep breath, glancing at the clock on his desktop. "I just got out of the meeting and turns out, the bastard claims to be mentaly insane." Brandon wets his lips before he continues, "Lots of lawyers were called in because shits getting outta hand they want the they want all those involves to individually sue. I'm starting to think that the Judge is kind of corrupt. It's just," he closes his eyes, and leans his head against the headrest. "I'm going to have to work directly with Cassie and her client since they were together and their testimony needs to line up. I wanted you to hear it from me first if anything happens."

"I just don't want you to worry your pretty little head. I know how you get." he chuckles. "Well that's it, I'll see you at home, 'kay?" he mutters before pulling the phone away from his ear and ending the call.

Brandon unlocks his desktop computer with the intention to get through the few pending reports before going to bed. He stops for a short bit to admire his screensaver. It's a photograph of them the day she agreed to marry him. He was holding her, lips against her cheek, her eyes closed grinning at the camera, showing off the ring.

He laughs through his nose, remembering how she reacted that day. She was so surprised and he was so happy. He rarely catches her off guard because she knew him too damn well.

It took him weeks and weeks of preparation getting friends and family into his plan, finding the perfect timing and location and it was all so worth it. She is so worth it. He's never met anyone who made him this devoted.