12. Plattsburgh

~ Kriss Darcy ~

~ Kriss Darcy ~

Thoughts of yesterday swirled through my head as I stepped into the shower, the cold water washing away the last of the sleepiness that still had me in its clutches

After agreeing to take me back home, Ash had uncovered a hidden passageway in the main room of his apartment, claiming it was the same tunnel he had used to bring me down here. According to him, it went directly to my bedroom, the entrance from that end being my mirror, which sort of slid out of the way to create a doorway.

I had clutched at his hand as he led me back down the tunnel, the darkness pressing against me on all sides. Somehow, making the journey back was more terrifying than the first trip down - though, to be fair, I was half-conscious and absolutely convinced I was being kidnapped by some crazy demon-ghost thing. This time, I had jumped at every little noise, to his great amusement.

"Why so jumpy, Angel?" he had asked when I heard the sound of something scuffing against the stone. "Are you afraid of the dark?"

I was pretty sure he was making fun of me.

Also, the noise was my shoe rubbing against the stone floor.

I had laughed, which came out sounding more like a choke. He gripped my hand harder, his thumb pressing into my palm, and led me on through the pitch black.

I smiled now as I kneaded my fingers through my hair, working in the conditioner. I don't know why I had ever been afraid of him, even during those few nerve-wracking minutes when I felt like I had been betrayed by the Ghost. Those precious moments when we had sung together, our voices mingling in perfect harmony, ran through my head over and over again, each time causing my cheeks to flush and my heart to pound, my breathing to quicken and my eyes to glaze as I was lost time and time again in the daydream.

The lights in my bedroom were still off when we had emerged from the tunnel, and since the sun had long since set and the moon was blocked out by a cloudy night sky, it was almost as dark as the passageway had been. Ash, accustomed to finding his way in the dark, brought me over to one of my comfortable reading chairs and pressed down harder into my palm.