11. Fire Whiskey and inhibitions

Aster's POV

Harper's still in our room when I return, lying on her stomach with her dark hair spilt over a book.

Throwing my shoes in my open trunk, I collapse onto my bed.

"You wanna go to the game?" She asks, lifting her head to watch me throw up my hands to be face to block out the warm light coming from the roaring fire.

"Mmm" I mumble, not sure if I can move my body anymore.

The after effects of this afternoon's activities start to settle. The distraction clearly not enough to forget about my family and the dark lord. Worry starts to creep into my thoughts again as I remember the words my Uncle said.

"Tough times are coming, and we want to ensure you are safe..."

Harper interrupts my intrusive thoughts by shoving my coat into my stomach.

"C'mon put your coat on, it's bloody freezing outside"

I walk beside Harper, my hands buried in my coat. The wind has picked up as cold gales snake between the castle.

I listen to her gossip, half-halfheartedly umming and ahhing as she talks about her date with Fred. As if sensing my lack of attention in the subject, she punches my shoulder softly.

"Forget about what happened today" she presses, her lips in a thin line.

For a moment, I think she knows about Draco and I but then I remember what happened in Hogsmeade with my Uncle and my breathing returns steadily.

"I know" I mumble, fiddling with my scarf at my neck.

We end up shuffled on the end of one of the benches at the Quidditch game. I scan the seats for Blaise but can't see him, instead Harper sits snugly next to some first years, her face full of displeasure.

The game was rough, the wind putting up a big fight against the bold brooms. I tried to focus on the actual game but my eyes kept wandering to Draco perched on his broom hovering above the game, eyes frantically searching for the golden snitch.

After many quaffles are thrown through the hoops and one poor third year knocked off his broom by a bludger, the crowd starts to rumble with excitement as Draco speeds past his team and starts to chase the snitch. We all watch as his dark green robes flutter behind him, his arm stretched out in front of him. I feel my breath hitch in my throat as he clasps his hand around the maddening snitch and he throws his fist up in the air in celebration. I can't help but smirk in response as he boasts and grins to his fellow teammates.

The Slytherin house throws a party to celebrate, the dark common room glows with charmed floating green flamed candles. A large table is filled with cakes and sweets and the whole Slytherin team still donned in their uniform laugh and sing triumphantly.

Harper and I stroll in and find our way to the outskirts of the party, carefully avoiding the gloats of the Slytherin purebloods and instead swiping a few goblets of pumpkin juice from the full table.

I stealthily watch Draco as he basks in his limelight, a huge grin plastered on his face and Crabbe and Goyle clasp his back in congratulations. He looks so different in his green jumper, the colour doing wonders for his blonde hair and silver eyes. The sleeves are pushed up against his flexed biceps and I feel my stomach swirl.

"He's so infuriating" Harper mutters, her eyes flicker to Malfoy, guided by my gaze

"Mmmm" I reply, still watching him and the team jump up and down and pour pumpkin juice down their chins. 

As if feeling my stare, Draco's eye glide to mine. His smile drops and instead his eyes glaze over as if remembering something deeply.

The look causes me to break my stare and I furrow my eyes as unnerving thoughts appear in my head.

Why did he look at me like that? Does he regret what we did?

I find Harper swigging a flask into her juice, a craft smile plastering on her face.

"You're not going to share?" I chuckle, beckoning for the flask.

We both gulp down our juices spiked with fire whiskey, and we watch the Slytherin house tumble into chaos. I try and lose myself in the mindless gossip of Harper's world but my eyes often flicker towards Draco.

He's now sprawled out on the large leather couch opposite the fire, far across the room adjacent to me. A grin still plastered on his sharp face, a drink gripped in her large hand. A picture worth painting.

I feel the fire whiskey stir in my veins, my eagerness to play rises steadily. I bring my goblet to my lips and sip at the spiced liquid as I watch Draco sipping and laughing, his throat bobs as he gulps another sip, the sharpness of his jaw makes me shiver with need.

Harper found Blaise about an hour ago and coaxed him out of his room. I sit, one arm supporting my head leaning on the arm of a plush chair, while the two of them chatter and laugh. I take myself back to earlier in the afternoon, the feel of Draco's lips on mine, his touch sending sparks up my spine.

I think it's the fire whiskey talking but I silently will Draco to look my way and if on queue, his eyes scan the room and find me. His eyes are droopy but happy, the obvious aftereffects of his own fire whiskey in his blood. He tilts his head upward and towards the dorms, and it takes me a few slow seconds to understand his nod. I smirk in response, ready to play. 

Hi guys! I know this is a little shorter than normal but I guarantee it will be worth it as the next chapter, I promise, will be full on..