39

tw: mention of death, suicide

"Just what were you thinking, Samantha?!" 

I covered one ear with my finger and closed my eyes while listening to Arah's rant. Francine had to take Avrielle to my room so she wouldn't hear our conversation. We were all inside my unit, having an emergency meeting in the middle of the night right after the news about my relationship with Clyden broke out. 

"You continue to surprise me! I am your manager! I should know beforehand, but I just discovered you have a boyfriend through articles?!" She massaged her head, getting mad. 

"I know. I should have told you, but we weren't sure of our relationship yet, so-" 

"I don't care if you're official or not! The fact that you are seeing a high-profile man is a big scoop for the media. Didn't we agree not to act on anything without talking about it like this? That guy... That guy is the son of the owner of Ramirez Medical, and he's famous in social media for being the hot doctor who topped the boards! Just how did you even end up with him?" nagtatakang tanong niya ngayon sa 'kin. 

I sighed heavily and sipped on my tea. I just needed something to calm me down while she was like that. Arah was a good manager and knew how to do her job well. It was me who failed to inform her and who acted on my emotions. I felt bad for her! 

"He's my ex," I quickly answered before closing my eyes again, ready for her shout. 

"What?!" She raised her voice. May ilalakas pa pala ang sigaw niya. We might already receive a complaint from the other unit. "You mean... Your ex... The one you talked about was him all along?! And to think that you didn't even bother telling me?! Seriously, ano pa ang hindi mo sinasabi sa 'kin?" 

"Uh..." I fumbled with my necklace using my fingers. I had to look away from her because I was so guilty. "We were engaged. He was my fiancé." 

"Ano?!" Mas lumakas pa ang boses niya. Iyon din ang naabutan ni Francine pagkabalik. Nabitawan niya bigla ang hawak niyang unan at tumigil sa paglalakad. I looked away from both of them, covering the side of my face. "Just... Just what the hell really happened to you?" 

"Our parents arranged our marriage, but they also broke it when the issue about my father got out, so we separated too," I summarized it, leaving the part where Naomi passed away. I didn't see the reason why I should bring that up. I wasn't ready to tell anyone.  

"Okay, I will try to control this issue, but I'm sure, given the history, it will become bigger and bigger. They might dig up everything in your past, so be prepared for it. Is that all? Are you sure?" Arah asked again. 

I bit my lower lip and nodded. I felt so sorry for not telling her about my sister's death. The public didn't know about it, so it wouldn't be brought up, right? No one would bring that up... Right? My heart started beating so fast just thinking about it. 

"Have you tried visiting your parents?" Arah asked before leaving. "Before you go to New York?"