Chapter 17: An Arguementative Liberty

Kyra's POV

Happiness is like a butterfly. The more you chase it, the more it eludes you. But if you turn your attention to other things, it comes and sits softly on your shoulder.

In the past month of my marriage and basically in the past five years of my life all I ever did was search for happiness.

I tried to please my family. I tried to make them love me again and be part of their happiness but in the process I only got much more broken and sad.

With Jayden I realised that maybe I was trying too much. I put up with all his mood swings and looked forward to his laugh, jokes and hello everyday. When he didn't give me any of those,I started him just so he could at least talk to me.

I wanted to be happy with him. I wanted him to include me in his happiness and respect me. I realised all the effort was coming from one side.

Was it even worth it? Just eleven more months and we'd be strangers. I had plans to go far away and start afresh all on my own after this one year. What would be the use in trying to form a bond that'd only be broken later and break my heart once again?

It was high time I focused on myself and became the person I wanted to be, the person I dreamed of becoming five years back when I had everything.

Crying myself to sleep and crumbling at every acidic word thrown at me wasn't going to build my future in any way. It all was bringing me down. I wanted to be a better daughter to my father. I wanted to make him proud because I knew he was watching over me from heaven.

I made a bold decision when I let Jayden come close to me. I thought he cared. He had followed me to my bedroom and looked concerned. He told me I was beautiful and held me like no one else had.

When he kissed my neck, I lost my mind. The moment was surreal and ecstatic. He made my knees go weak and made me feel the so called butterflies. Everything felt so crazy good that I didn't want him to stop. I wanted him to do more. I was willing to give myself to him even if it'd be just a moment of weakness to him.

I felt every moment and did not regret any of it because I chose it. I wanted it even if he was just using me. I was ready to let him use me until he realised I could be as good as Kylie or even more but I made a fool out of myself.

When I saw him make love to Kylie barely an hour after he had been with me reality dawned on me. He'd never be mine and I wasn't ready to let him touch me and kiss me with the same hands and mouth he'd use on another woman way more passionately.

I knew he loved Kylie but I thought he'd at least respect me for the day. He was so desperate that he had to excuse himself from us all and go and satisfy his and Kylie's needs.

Seeing them on the table panting and riding wildly changed my life completely. I wasn't going to be the one chasing after him anymore or begging him to touch me and give me his attention.

He had to realise that I was worth more than that and if it meant ever getting close again then he'd have to take the first step. I wasn't working on us anymore. If he wanted us to work then he'd have to do all the work and prioritise me.

I didn't hate him. He was a nice person and I'd never shut him out and wish him bad luck. I just drew a line and formed boundaries.

I was attached to the wedding ring he had slid onto my finger but I forced myself to take it off and give it back. I didn't want to give him the satisfaction that he could control my life and that only him could do whatever he wanted.

I slid on the ring my father had given me as a gift a few days before his passing. It was precious to me and one of my most valued possessions. I felt safe wearing it and I felt his presence as well. I missed him a lot.